Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 3, 2004, 4:26 AM   #1

Well what iread in several postsabout p100/p150 is that ( only in low light situations and indoor pics)

-The problem appears as if the sensor is not setting the shutter speed fast enough.

or

-the camera didnt seem to focus well

as a result in both situations about 20 % of the photos were very blurry.

I dont know if they tried manually to change the settings in order to have better exposure / no blurry pics , but this is what i see in the forums :-[

I want you p100/p150 users to tell me your experience on these cameras..

george_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:32 PM   #2

Try using center focus, keep your hand still and press and hold the button 1/2 way, then when the box is green, press all the way. Along witha cloth cleaning of the lens and setup on single AF. It should be all ok.
AQElassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:44 AM   #3

I have had the P100 for about six months, and I just think some of them are defective. I haven't got around to sending my back to Sony for warranty repair yet. Of course it makes poor shutter speed selections, but that is not what I'm talking about. Even with manual settings of faster speeds and ISO200 I get about 20% of my pictures where NOTHING is in focus.

Months back on DPreview a number of users sent their cameras back for an exchange, and that often fixed the problem. Many users who have not actually seen the problem, will swear it's cause of user error. I'm sure that's the case sometimes, but even with faster speeds (1/100 and lens wide open), I get many shots where it looks like the camera simply didn't lock onto anything to focus on. Of course, since I bought this for my wife who doesn't want to hear about manual settings, the camera's been a bust. Since the problem is erratic, I have doubts as to whether Sony will even find a problem.
If you can exchange it, I'd do so ASAP.
Redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:06 AM   #4
blr

Redrock wrote:
Quote:
I have had the P100 for about six months, and I just think some of them are defective. I haven't got around to sending my back to Sony for warranty repair yet. Of course it makes poor shutter speed selections, but that is not what I'm talking about. Even with manual settings of faster speeds and ISO200 I get about 20% of my pictures where NOTHING is in focus.

Months back on DPreview a number of users sent their cameras back for an exchange, and that often fixed the problem. Many users who have not actually seen the problem, will swear it's cause of user error. I'm sure that's the case sometimes, but even with faster speeds (1/100 and lens wide open), I get many shots where it looks like the camera simply didn't lock onto anything to focus on. Of course, since I bought this for my wife who doesn't want to hear about manual settings, the camera's been a bust. Since the problem is erratic, I have doubts as to whether Sony will even find a problem.
If you can exchange it, I'd do so ASAP.
I used to have a W1, basically the same camera in terms of sensor optics and electronics/firmware as P100 and it behaved the same way. I think the problem is that although the camera could not focus sometimes it gave a false reading that the focus is locked. This happens mainly in low light. I remember taking pictures with flash in a dark pub and about 30-40% of them were out of focus although I prefocus and the focus was locked all the time. It happens both in wide area and center focus mode. The camera confirms focus (area turns green and beeps) when in fact the focus is no set correctly. I assume it locks focus at infinity instead of telling you that it couldn't lock focus. Most often this happens when you are more than about 1.5 m away from the subject where the AF assist lamp is not effective.

This and some other flaws made me to sell the camera. If I were you, I'd exchange it for something else or sell it.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:44 AM   #5

Your idea that focus doens't lock is the best explanation I've read yet. Many people claim it's camera shake, but camera shake has a different look to it in the prints. In my blurry pictures NOTHING is in focus. I'll try using the focus assist lamp, but it is so intrusive.

Too late to exchange it - I got to hope Sony service can fix it.

Redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 2:32 PM   #6

well this focus problem in W1 is due to its faster operation and fast shutter mechanism.due to its faster shooting its captures the pic before it confirms the focus.although it shows that the pics are focus (in prefocus mode also) but the pics are actually not in focus.the only solution stated by most of the users is to use moniter focus (at the expense of battery). this will confirms that all of ur pics are in focus until and unless u dont shake ur hands while taking pic.As both has the same type of models lets hope that this will also the case with p100 also.
fsc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 7:28 PM   #7
blr

It's not a question of monitor AF IMO. If you prefocus by half pressing the shutter release until focus is locked and the camera confirms it, it should be sharp(providing the subject and/or photographer aren't moving). Contineous AF won't help. I've tried it with a tripod with monitor AF , same result. The camera is just cheating telling you that focus has been locked. It is IMO worse than poor AF in low light. If the camera can't focus you can try to focus manually or use preset focus distance or try to focus again. W1 lets you believe that everything is OK just to end up with an out of focus image. This is soooo bad. I believe there is an algorithm somewhere in the software that tells the camera to focus, say on infinity if proper focus cannot be achieved and then confirm focus. This together with some lack of resolution due to post processing flaws was the BIG minus of W1. I tried so hard to like the camera but I couldn't. At the end I sold it cheap and got something else cheaper and better IMO.

What I did while I had the W1 was to set the focus manually in low light. It works better than the "pseudo" AF in low light.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 7:47 PM   #8

alright, here's the deal...in low light (even in the brightest rooms inside) the camera can't just use a fast shutter speed, there has to be some compromise so that the image exposes correctly..

i'm sure you all know this already, but, it isn't the sensor's fault that it's picking a shutter speed of 1/20 at f2.8 and ISO 200....(lol, just picked those numbers out of the air)

to your eyes, the room may look bright, but, to the camera, it's dark!

basically, what i'm saying, is, test it out on a tripod with the self timer, if they still are blurry, then it's probably the AF....of course, if the AF is off, than there would be something in focus...you just may not be able to see it in the pictures...like, the DOF may be closer to the camera than anything in the picture, or farther away...

have you tried flash?

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 9:19 AM   #9
blr

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
alright, here's the deal...in low light (even in the brightest rooms inside) the camera can't just use a fast shutter speed, there has to be some compromise so that the image exposes correctly..

i'm sure you all know this already, but, it isn't the sensor's fault that it's picking a shutter speed of 1/20 at f2.8 and ISO 200....(lol, just picked those numbers out of the air)

to your eyes, the room may look bright, but, to the camera, it's dark!

basically, what i'm saying, is, test it out on a tripod with the self timer, if they still are blurry, then it's probably the AF....of course, if the AF is off, than there would be something in focus...you just may not be able to see it in the pictures...like, the DOF may be closer to the camera than anything in the picture, or farther away...

have you tried flash?

Vito
As I said I've done these tests, with tripod. Also out of focus pictures occur when using flash in quite dark rooms The flash durations are so small that (in low ambient light) it is almost impossible to get a camera shake even handheld. It is definatley an AF issue and a pretty serious at that
Old Dec 17, 2004, 2:09 PM   #10

I've posted on this several times already. I had my Olympus 5060 stolen and replaced it with the P150 as a pocket sized camera. With the Olympus I never, except on my part, had a bad photo, indoors or out. With the Sony I reckon about 20% of flash photos are useless, out of focus and blurred by movement. Now excuse me, but I am semi professional, and have used cameras for 30 years, so I feel I know at least the basics, but this camera defeats me. It now resides in the glovebox of my car for any emergency that might arise. I shall be in Phoenix in the new year and I shall buy the Canon S70 which if I had read up properly I would have bought in the first place since it has manual control facilities like aperture priority and shutter priority, plus the very big bonus of a 27mm wide angle lens.

If you can stand the size the Olympus 5060 is about 20 times the camera than the P150. Better screen for viewing, better facilities, better menu, better everything in fact. I really missed it, and have replaced it eventually, even though I have a D70 Nikon etc. The P150? Only good for the outdoors - don't ever rely on it indoors.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote