Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 5, 2004, 1:48 PM   #1

Just posted some sample movies and images taken with the new Sony DSC-M1:

http://www.notcommon.com/dscm1/

I tried to show a range of capabilities without creating files that were too large. The file sizes are listed with the descriptions, please be patient while larger movies download.
saronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 3:40 AM   #2

Thank you thank you!! That is awesome!!!
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:42 PM   #3

seems like there's a bit of internal noise in the sound.

also how come you didn't directly copy the movie files from the memory stick?
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 12:40 AM   #4

The sample movie clips are the direct output from the DSC-M1, transferred using the USB cable. To keep the file size as small as possible I trimed the in and out points in the QuickTime player. By default, MPEG4 clips are exported from QuickTime as .mov files. Doing an Export vs. a Save As preserves the data and prevents recompression.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 5:27 AM   #5

saronian wrote:
Quote:
The sample movie clips are the direct output from the DSC-M1, transferred using the USB cable. To keep the file size as small as possible I trimed the in and out points in the QuickTime player. By default, MPEG4 clips are exported from QuickTime as .mov files. Doing an Export vs. a Save As preserves the data and prevents recompression.
Hi,

I purchased a DSC-M1 approx a month ago and so far have been very impressed. I used to own a Fujifinepix M603 which until the M1 appeared was the best digiital camera for movie. I have noticedthat exposure in movie mode in indoor or subdued lighting isn't to good especiallywhenI zoom inwhen the subject becomesdarker the closer I zoom in,my Fuji was better. I also noticed in mivie mode that the end product is smoothwhen in automatic modeyet when I select any other manual mode the end product is jirky though exposure improves, again my Fuji was better. How do you find these functions on your M1? Don't get me wrong I love the camera but am wondering if these issues with movie mode are the same on all M1's, I live in the UK and I don't know anyone else with an M1 to compare results.I spoketo Sony Uk who didn't know the M1 even existed(can you believe that) they had to surf the net to find it on the Sony main website whilst I was talking to them.
redimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 7:38 PM   #6

Tred my M1 in program mode for movies and it was jerky.
Also noticed the poor low light performance. I am a little disapointed as i take a lot of shots at night indoors. Does anyone have a solution? Does the T1/T3 have the same issues?
Fred Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:16 PM   #7

Fred Flintstone wrote:
Quote:
Tred my M1 in program mode for movies and it was jerky.
Also noticed the poor low light performance. I am a little disapointed as i take a lot of shots at night indoors. Does anyone have a solution? Does the T1/T3 have the same issues?
I just received mine today. I think the video is about the best you can get in an MPEG4 camera. I'm still not sure about still photos. I'll need some more time with that. The price is a bit steep although I'm sure this will drop once this type of camera catches on. Regarding indoor shots...I moved the scene mode to the night shot position (half moon symbol). Seems to really help indoorexisting light (night)movies. Hope this helps.

Frank

fpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:19 PM   #8

Any camera using the small NP-FT1 battery has an extremely small flash with terrible indoor performance unless you're within 4-5 feet of the subject. I've tried the T1 and L1 with the same results.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 8:41 PM   #9

redimp wrote:
Quote:
saronian wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

... I have noticed*that exposure in movie mode in indoor or subdued lighting isn't to good especially*when*I zoom in*when the subject becomes*darker the closer I zoom in,*my Fuji was better. I also noticed in mivie mode that the end product is smooth*when in automatic mode*yet when I select any other manual mode the end product is jirky though exposure improves, again my Fuji was better. How do you find these functions on your M1?
I've noticed the same marginal low-light performance and it can cause problems. Fred's suggestion of using the "Night" program will help in movie mode. I'm still trying to find the best setting for the conditions I shoot under, but my expectations are not high, considering I use the movie mode a lot.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:03 PM   #10

A few other observations...

Video playback has a distinctive "whine". Not loud, but still noticeable. Probably would not be factor in louder environments. Also, I can hear a change in pitch while zooming. I've noticed this on other M1's as well, so apparently, it's the nature of this machine. Also, I don't care for the little door/cover to the connector. I don't think this is really necessary and looksvery flimsy to me.And, I'd like to see a direct a/v output on the camera itself. That docking station has to be with you every time youwant to output to a TV.

Frank

fpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote