Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Oct 27, 2002, 10:38 AM   #1

Default Help with Red Eye Problem With F717

I have just begun shooting with the F717 and have tried several head shots using the flash on the camera. There is severe red eye evidenced even with the red eye reduction engaged. Is it simply a myth that red eye can be avoided using the built in flash or must one exercise other options to avoid red eye? Please help with any advice you can.
Joey Nipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2002, 10:53 AM   #2

Default Sony 717 red eye

I have the same problem and was wondering if going to a larger flash would help. :?:
timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 1:33 PM   #3

Red eye is a condition caused by having the light source, usually the flash, too close to the lens. What happens is that the light is reflected off the back of the eye and is picked up by the camera. This is a problem with any camera where there is insufficient angle between the flash and the lens to reflect the light away from the lens. Red eye is one of the reasons that seperate flash units are popular, even when mounted on the camera the flash head is usually far enough from the lens to avoid red eye.

Red eye reduction causes two flashes, the first is intended to close the iris, thus reducing the red eye.

Hope this helps some.
Brooks P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2002, 4:31 PM   #4
DOC

jOEY, Brooks is absolutly correct describing the cause of red eye. Despite all of the fancy gimmicks developed by the manufacturers red eye still exists to some extent because people look directly at the camera and flash. There are two solutions 1) move the flash to the side and shut off the built in flash and 2) just have your subject look slightly down towards your belt buckle (or midway between camera and buckle if you are close). These have worked for decades with film cameras #2 is free and simple also the slight downward look is not evident and prevents any light striking the rear of the subjects eye from being reflected back to the lens.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2002, 6:12 AM   #5

Hi there.

I have something to add.

Certain persons have slight anatomical differences in their eyes.
This results that by some people the reduction will not work.
I am also having good results with the placement of a difuser on my internal flash. (Sony F707). :shock:
Therefor i use a foil taped over the flash.

Good luck.
fterhaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2002, 10:02 AM   #6

If you look at most pro-portraits, you'll see another technique similiar to what Doc is telling you. In most portraits the subject is NOT looking at the camera, but slightly away. This not only helps with the red eye but also gets away from the mug-book look inherent in so many snap shot pic's.
Brooks P is offline   Reply With Quote