Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:08 AM   #1

I just bought my Sony DSC-V3 and the macro is great, outdoor is great, indoor close up is great but a little farther about 4 feet from the camera and there is so much noise. I haven't heard that from anyone yet. So do you think I got a defective camera? I love how superfast it is but I can't accept that my far indoor shots are so bad. What happened?

I'm not sure, is it noise or blurr or bad white balance? The colors are fantastic, but what is wrong? At night, indoors, it's worse than this though.

I noticed the same noise on the Canon G6 photos too, except Canon was worse. Is it because they both crammed 7MP into a 1/1.8" CCD?

v3tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:26 AM   #2

Sorry, I'm lost here. I don't see any noise in your picture, but that's almost impossible to judge from a reduced size picture like this. You need to post it in full resolution (or a crop of it). Seems sharp as well, but again, hard to judge from this picture.

Seems like a great shot to me. Good color, exposure, white balance, no red eye ...
nicke2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 6:47 AM   #3

I'm not sure if "noise" is the right thing I'm trying to show, maybe it's white balance or something. Where can I post a full size of it? Do you know of anywhere? In the full size you can see what I mean. I took a photo at night time too indoors and it was way worse.

Definitely the color is fantastic! That's without any enhancing at all. I was so shocked but it looks so blurry and noisy.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:11 AM   #4

Nope, I can't see anything to be concerned about in that shot. The flash doesn't seem to be too weak. There isn't any redeye and it doesn't appear to be blurred.

Actually, I would expect that the laser holographic focus assist light should guarantee in focus shots in low light...within range.

Can you, at least, look post your EXIF settings from the original shot so that we can see shutter speed, distance etc. That might help but, from what we see here, there isn't much to complain about.

When I remember low light shots with early Mavicas (like the FD7), there was so much noise that it looked like the picture was assembled out of multicoloured bricks. This is great compared to what we had back then.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:43 AM   #5

So here is another picture: it's far but it shouldn't be so much noise I think. Is it just because it's out of my flash range? And if I had an external flash I wouldn't have the noise?
Old Dec 9, 2004, 9:44 AM   #6
sdh

v3tester, I do see the noise you're talking about but I couldnt say if it is necessarily wrong that it's there - Ill let the experts judge that. Though it may be useful to post the EXIF for this shot too. Maybe the cam used high ISO in this shot?

One other thing, since you said you were very satisfied w/ indoor shots from you W1, maybe you could take some same-composition snaps with both cams and post them for comparison. (which may help others help you get what youre looking for with the v3.) That and the fact that Im considering moving from the w1 to v3 so i wouldnt mind the comparo either :G
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:40 PM   #7

Sorry, I already sold my W1 on eBay, last month, so I could buy the V3. I have to say though that I was about 15, 16 feet away from the wall when I took the pic. Here's the EXIF info: f2.8, iso 100, auto mode, flash.

But maybe that's normal, since I was so far away and inside at dawn? Not sure? I'm going to take some more indoor photos today, so I'll see how it turns out.

Thanks...
Old Dec 9, 2004, 3:52 PM   #8

Hi, so here is a good pic indoors but that's cause it's close up the ones that are just a little bit farther away get noise.

Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:33 PM   #9

Very very very nice!!!! Beautiful camera!!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:34 PM   #10

Look at the fine hairs on the face! And the eyes!! Wow!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote