Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:01 AM   #1

Brought a SONY dsc-t3 cam about a month ago and i must say, its a nice cam.. its taking good outdoor pictures as well at indoor evening, with flash ofcouse.

The only downside yet, is the shutter time. im not able to change the shutter time directly, only by changing the ISO settting (100-400) and by using the so called sports programme (or fast shutter programme as their call it in the manuel)

I works fine outside, when there are plenty of light.. talking about sunlight here, and notthe light conditions which are in a gym.

recently i tried to take some indoor shoots with my cam during training and i found out that the sportsprogramme need a LOT of light before i would get a picture that isnt just black, like this

the sports programme:

When put the cam on auto it takes fuzzy pictures if the movtive are moving.. i need a lower shutter time and thats what the sportsprogramme are for. but when i switch to the sportsprogramme the lcd screen goes black and im only able to see a little amount of light if i point the cam directly at a light source. like i have shown on the picture b4.

when i press the button half way down to focus the lcd screen comes back to life and shows methe picture as normal when focussing. but when the pciture is taken its just all black. nothing but black.

picture examples:

auto: to show the light conditions:
its fuzzy and i have tried all of the difference settings avaible .

iso 400 setting, no flash, spot focus:

Auto with flash - lucky shot. on rare accations i'll get a decent shot when the motive are in motion. (has only happend when there was a single motive.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and to my question:
how do i make my sportsfunction work indoor at the light conditions i have shown on picture number 2?

thx and merry christmas every1
Gregorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:07 PM   #2
Administrator

Gregorian wrote:
Quote:
and to my question:
how do i make my sportsfunction work indoor at the light conditions i have shown on picture number 2?

You can't. The best you'll be able to do with this modelindoors without a Flash is by using Auto Exposure with the ISO speed set high.

The problem is that the lens is not really bright enough on a model like the T3 for use indoors without a flash at the ISO speeds available. You'll have motion blur from slower shutter speeds and/or higher noise fromincreasing ISO speeds.

The camera must leave the shutter open long enough for proper exposure of an image. The length it must stay open is dependent on EV (Exposure Value, which is how light is measured), Aperture (and your model has a maximum available aperture of f/3.5 at wide angle, stopping down to f/4.4 at full zoom), and ISO speed.

The camera's autoexposure is already selecting the largest available aperture in low light anyway, so this is the best you can expect. Sports Mode on Sony models will actually do more harm than good in low light, since the Sports Mode istrying touse faster shutter speeds (which is why your photos are coming out underexposed trying to use it indoors). This mode is more appropriate for outdoor use in brighter light with your camera.

When shopping for cameras and lenses, the aperture scale (in one stop increments) goes f/1.0, f/1.4, f/2.0, f/2.8, f/4.0, f/5.6, f/8.0, f/11, f/16, f/22, etc... With each one stop move to a smaller aperture (represented by larger f/stop numbers), you will need shutter speeds twice as long for proper exposure.

Here is achart you can use to get anidea of the shutter speeds required for any EV and Aperture. It's based on ISO 100. So, each time double the ISO speed, you can use shutter speeds twice as fast. Your camera has a maximum available aperture of f/3.5 at wide angle, dropping off to f/4.4 at full zoom.

http://home.earthlink.net/~terryleedawson/dcnotes/tables.htm

For indoor use without a flash, a model with a brighter lens (larger available apertures, represented by smaller f/stop numbers), and the ability to shoot at higher ISO speeds with acceptable noise levels is recommended.

DSLR models are best for this use, since they can shoot at higher ISO speeds with lower noise, with brighter lenses available.

With your Sony, you're better off keeping it set to Auto Exposure with a Flash indoors (and don't boost the ISO speed too much with flash, otherwise, you'll get motion blur from ambient light exposure). Unfortunately, it's got a very weak flash (about 5 feet at wide angle using Auto ISO), so indoor use will be challenging.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:45 PM   #3

thx ..

i thought so. it is really challenging yes.. seems like i have to use auto with flash then..

another ting..

what does the F.3.5 means? underexposure?
Gregorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 1:04 PM   #4
Administrator

f/3.5 is the largest available aperture for your model. Aperture, as expressed as f/stop is the ratio between the diameter of the iris openening (the hole the light goes through to reach the sensor), and the focal length of the lens.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote