Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:07 AM   #1

I was wondering if anyone could help me decide if I should buy a V3 or an F828? I understand the f828 is a little higher megapixels, but besides that, will it make a difference in photo quality that is worth the extra money.

And why does it say the F828 has Aperture at 2.0 to 2.8? Isn't it better for it to go higher? Why is it not 2.0 to 8.0 ? Is that bad?

I'd really appreciate some replies...

Thanks...:G
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2004, 12:17 PM   #2

Usually, they quote the maximum aperture at both ends of the zoom range. So 2.0-2.8 means that at the widest angle of zoom the lens will have an maximum aperture of f2.0 but, when you zoom out to the end of the zoom range...that largest aperture drops to f2.8.

It is better to have the two numbers as close as possible. The most expensive lenses will maintain exactly the same aperture throughout the zoom range so that exposure won't change as you zoom. It doesn't mean that the camera can't stop down smaller (F5.6, f8 etc) ...the numbers just refer to the largest aperture setting.

The 828 is actually quite good compared to the V3 which is f2.8-f4.0. This is the benefit of the larger lens of the 828.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:41 PM   #3

Okay, thank you Meryl!!!
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote