Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 21, 2004, 1:41 AM   #11

Whoah there! Lovely to see the test reports from the professionals, but don't you think that the manufacturers might have had a quick look at the camera before sending it out for testing? The proof of a good or bad camera comes in forums such as this. Canon deny that there is an intrinsic problem with the Elph (Ixus in Europe) but just type "error 18" into your Google and watch the results. Cameras closing down with the lens half retracted, and a useless camera. Canon, of course, deny there is a problem. Here it is the same with Sony. Start admitting there is a problem and the lawsuits start, everybody wants a new camera for free, and the accountants at Sony won't like the bottom line.

Personally I prefer to look at how the camera behaves in the hands of the public as well as reading the test reports before buying. I bought the P150 and it was the worst purchase I have ever made in photographic terms. Buy at your peril, you have been warned.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 3:56 AM   #12

cameranserai, if you read to all the words of the persons in the forum you do not understand nothing. For every digicam many they speak well and many speak badly. Therefore to who you must believe? I was sure before for casio z55, then fx7, then sd300 and then sony p100. To this point I must buy one digicam. For you between these which it is the best one? or better to wait for some weeks for new complete models more? Thanks
robyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 4:19 AM   #13

The P100 is a great pocket camera which I carry everywhere I go. I've never had any trouble at all with it and have gotten some pretty impressive indoor pictures with it at clubs. Here is one example: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...eater_P100.jpg

I keep the camera set on manual focus, either 1m or 3m, set ISO at 200 and flash on high and all my club pictures come out awesome.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:44 AM   #14

Hello Cyber, why you choose Sony P100 instead of FX7 or CASIO z55? can you say what you make to prefer you P100 to the others? Robert Thanks
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:48 AM   #15

Redrock talk:I also think that the P100 is a bad buy cause you just don't know what you're gonna get. This was all thrahsed about months ago on DPReview and a few people say they exchanged their p100/w1's for new units that took in focus pictures. Prior to that these users had found 20-30% of their photos out of focus.

Cameranserai talk: Well, I have the P150, as I said above, and about 25% of flash photos are blurred. I have used various settings including spot focus, have pressed the reset button to restore factory settings, have torn out what hair I had left, and in the end am left with a camera which only works in daylight. Forget it if flash is needed. As regards prefocusing, sometimes it works, but recently I needed photos of the facilities at a hotel and took special care, placing the camera on a bar for example to avoid camera shake,to get a photo of the restaurant, and the picture was still out of focus. I cannot trust the camera to operate efficiently when flash is needed.

A very bad purchase and money wasted is my view. Avoid.

Cibershotnut.....what do you think?

Robert

Old Dec 21, 2004, 5:02 PM   #16
hbh

I cannot share his experience. My P150 is working. No complaints. Ultra-sharp. Only issue: blur by movement under low light condition. But this the only battle-field for cameras like Nikon D70 etc.
hbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:53 AM   #17

Robyy,

To give youanother opinion....I think all devices as complex as a digital camera have variations from one camera to the next. Take 10 new cameras of any make and you will likely find a few that have problems and the Sony P100 is no exception.

Luckily the P100 I bought formy wife about 3 months agois working perfectly. Maybe not by coincidence, I bought mine direct from Sony. Who knows, maybe Sony and other manufacturers send their best production lots to their own warehouse for direct sales to the public?

As an alternative, I suggest you head to a reputable camera shop, ask them to let you take some photos witha P100 or a Casio or a Cononwhile in the shop (macros, with flash, without, moving objects, still objects, etc) and see what you think. If the results are good, then buy that exact camera, not one from their inventory. This also give you the advantage of checking the ergonomics. If it takes good photos and feels good in your hands, then you can purchase it with a relatively low risk.

Hope this helps....

Steve C, Strazeele, France
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 1:38 AM   #18

I would strill, having the choice again, buy the Canon S70 for several reasons.

Manual override. The Canon has it and the Sony doesn't

Lens. The Canon has wide angle which is very useful. The Sony doesn't

Memory. Canon use proprietary compact flash, but Sony memory stick which is dearer.

As to taking indoor pictures, that is why there is a flash, but if the flash works and the pictures are still blurred there is a camera problem. I have been a photographer for 30 years, have three Nikon SLR's including the D70, and lenses from 18mm to 500mm, am a professionalso I do feel I know a little about the subject. I am not saying that all P150's are dodgy, just that there is an endemic problem and it will be the luck of the draw as to whether you get a good or a bad one. As for suggesting that Sony keep the good ones and sell on the bad ones to dealers - well I ask you! They wouldn't last long in business like that.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:43 PM   #19
TNT

Robby,

Here's an example of indoor picture by the W1 at ISO400 1/20s hand-held and no flash.
Attached Images

TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:45 PM   #20
TNT

Here's another one at 1/25s.
Attached Images

TNT is offline   Reply With Quote