Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 25, 2004, 2:48 PM   #21
TNT

And here's a 100% crop from the first picture.
Attached Images

TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 4:23 PM   #22
TNT

Robby,

The W1/P100 has two faults. The first one is if you press the shutter release too fast, the camera will take picture even while proper focus is still being attempted and not yet achieved resulting in completely blur image. Solution is to first half-press the shutter release and wait for the green focus confirmation to appear. This fault happens to me fewer than 10 times per 1000 pictures.

The second is a serious one which is the default too aggressive noise reduction system resulting in images with all fine details being removed or flattened. Pictures with facial details, hairs or small leaves, leaves' details and grasses look so blurry or flattened that I thought my eyes were myopic and got sick of it and stopped using the camera for a while. Not until recently, did I find out how to fix this problem. Not by turning up the Sharpness setting to High - doing so seems to make the pictures appear to have more fine details, but those actually are fake and distorted details (this fooled me as the solution for a while). The pictures are so harsh and too contrasty, have too much sharpenning halo and facial details are still plainly flattened.

It turns out that turning down Sharpness setting to Low actually lowers the image noise level, therefore reduces the effects of the noise reduction system. Fine, fine contrast, and shadows details would still be there just waiting to be applied some USM to come out. So, this is how to get the best shaprness and most details out of the W1/P100 - Sharpness Low and USM, at the expense of a tiny bit more shadow noise. The resulting pictures are now very sharp, smooth and detailed, quality pretty much comparable to pictures (non-modified, straight out of the camera) from Canon A95, S60 or Pana FX7.
TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 7:32 PM   #23

thanks to all of the photos and the comments. know the quality of digicam the Sony well (a my friend has Sony V1 and I have always seen photo wonderful; but I want one digicam pocket; when I feel myself ready I will make a quality jump). Hour my only problem is to decide if to buy P100 or P150. The price difference is not large between the two digicam; it is also true that with the moneies that I spend for p150 I buy P100+second battery+256mB. Now I see the sale offered ones and in little time I want to decide.An other reason that I want Sony is that I have a PC portable SonY with drive Memory stick (Sony Pcg-grv616g); this is comfortable in order to unload the photos or to record they give to you on the MS. I want to understand if the Memory stick For is compatible with mine laptop; I have tried to contact Sony but I have still not had answer.

Thanks to all
robyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:13 AM   #24

Interesting tip-but what is USM?
f2benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:05 AM   #25
blr

USM stands for unsharp mask the filter found in PhotoShop, paintShop Pro etc. for increasing edge contrst. This increases perceived shaarpness without actually bringing in more detail.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:19 AM   #26

blr, I believe what V3tester was trying to say is that on www.pbase.com you can see everyday people posting pictures under whatever camera you chose. It's a good place to view many many photos of the p100 or p150 or any other camera. But some people do not know how to take pictures because they don't keep their hand steady, they don't know that you can push the shutter button half-way down to lock focus and so on. So I think V3Tester was just trying to say view pictures to help you see what you like but keep in mind that some may be bad only because those people are bad picture takers. No one said anything about you the "semi-pro" and how you take pictures.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:03 AM   #27
blr

kski wrote:
Quote:
blr, I believe what V3tester was trying to say is that on http://www.pbase.com you can see everyday people posting pictures under whatever camera you chose. It's a good place to view many many photos of the p100 or p150 or any other camera. But some people do not know how to take pictures because they don't keep their hand steady, they don't know that you can push the shutter button half-way down to lock focus and so on. So I think V3Tester was just trying to say view pictures to help you see what you like but keep in mind that some may be bad only because those people are bad picture takers. No one said anything about you the "semi-pro" and how you take pictures.
Kski, I see your point What I didn't agree with in the post of V3tester was that it sounded as these cameras are flawless and everyone who complains doesn't know how to use them properly. We know now that W1/p100/p150 have some problems that are not due to lack of skills or wrong settings. I just wanted to make this clear, based not only on my observations, there are several others here that have reached the same conclusion. It could be very frustrating for a first time user trying to perfect his/hers technique believing that the reason is lack of skills.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:43 AM   #28

blr wrote:
Quote:
Indoors W1/p100 are limited by poor autofocus, expect roughly 1/3 of your pictures to be out of focus. ....If I were you I would avoid these cameras.
O.K.
Could you recommend smth. better for the money?
I'm looking for a backup small camera. W1 looks great from reviews, but focusing problems...

Dmitry.
Dmitry M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:47 PM   #29
blr

Dmitry M. wrote:
Quote:
O.K.
Could you recommend smth. better for the money?
I'm looking for a backup small camera. W1 looks great from reviews, but focusing problems...

Dmitry.

I was in exactly the same situation, wanted a pocketable camera to use as a backup, at parties etc. Bought the w1 and sold it a month later. Currently I own a Ricoh Caplio R1 and like it much better, not perfect, but better than the w1 overall and about 100 Euro cheaper as well. It has a 4.8x optical zoom starting at 28mm (equivalent) and some other nice features that w1 doesn't have, like manual WB, AE bracketing and interval shooting. It is as fast or faster than w1 to start and the AF in low light is very fast and reliable.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:15 AM   #30

blr wrote:
Quote:
Currently I own a Ricoh Caplio R1 and like it much better
very good camera that one... pity the video and lcd isn't as good as the W1. Otherwise it kicks it in every other regard imo.
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote