Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:14 AM   #1

I must decide between Sony p100, casio z55 and panasonic fx7. Task to take Sony P100 for these reasons: - more CCD sensor large 1/1,8 against 1/2,5. - Good video 640x480; - good book reviews generate them. FX7 is good but it does not appeal to me that it does not have viewfinder, not good batteries and it is not possible to feel audio. Z55: many book reviews speak about not good photo in the angles and little good Pentax discs of a valve. The only thing that I do not love a lot in Sony P100 is lcd small 1.8"against 2,5". Task that as qualities of photo FX7 and Sony P100 are equivalent. FX7 in indoor ago photo much good ones. What thoughts of this? Thanks
robyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2004, 3:02 AM   #2
M2

I think you should look at the P150 instead of the P100. A lot of the P100 issues were resolved... There is more of a difference between the two besides the number of MP.
M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 3:44 AM   #3

The Sony P100 is definitely a great camera, but if you could try to go for the P150, it's a little more money but you will get a lot more resolution out of the camera.

Go here and view pics for yourself of the P100: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sony/dsc_p100

and the p150: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sony/dsc_p150

It might help you tell the difference between what's better for you. Just keep in mind, some people do not know how to take pictures or use a digital camera so there are some bad pics, but view lots and you'll know what both cameras can do!!
v3tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:31 AM   #4
blr

v3tester wrote:
Quote:
It might help you tell the difference between what's better for you. Just keep in mind, some people do not know how to take pictures or use a digital camera so there are some bad pics, but view lots and you'll know what both cameras can do!!
v3tester, I wouldn't describe myself as a person who "do not know how to take pictures or use a digital camera" I ve done photography on a hobby to semi pro basis for exactly 22 years. Bought my first AF SLR 10 years ago and have done 100%digital for a couple of years now. Let me tell you this- Sony p100/p150/w1 all of which share identical AF hardware and software algorithms have a serious flaw of reporting a false AF lock in low light situations resulting in out of focus images 20-30% of the time. There are other issues with these cameras but this is perhaps the most annoying one for a first time user. Check other posts in this forum and on imaging resource. I used to have the W1 to use as my portable backup and sold it. IMO there are better compact digicams for less money. If you are happy with your Sony it's fine, just don't attach a label to others that are a bit more critical and want their cash worth.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:00 PM   #5

blr... e you what councils?
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:48 AM   #6

If you read the adjacent post about blurred photos you will avoid the P100/150 like the plague. I too am a semi pro photographer, using Nikons for years with lenses up to 500mm, so I know about camera shake and blurred photos. I currently have the D70 and new DX lenses plus teleconverters which give me up to 600mm equivalent and never have blurred photos unless I want to slow the shutter speed for effect.

Having looked at other options I would strongly recommend the Canon S60 as a much better alternative, and one that I should have bought instead. Wide angle lens, and manual options such as shutter and aperture priority.

As regards the comment that the P150 gives better resolution than the P100, that is correct if you are doing A3 prints (which I do) but up to A4 you wouldn't notice a thing. This business of "more mp makes for better photos" is all a load of sales talk, nothing more. That is why I recommend the S60 over the S70. Both are good cameras but the former is cheaper and will more than adequately do the job.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 2:16 AM   #7

I prefer to buy one digicam pocket but of good quality. it is much time that I try and next to the end I thought to buy Sony P120 also why I have a portable PC Sony with the drive for Memory stick and this is much bond for me. I have read many book reviews of Sony P100 and speak well on situated like dpreview and others. Hour here other link that it speaks well about Sony: http://akam.no/art.php?artikkelid=8994&side=11 Now I want to only see if photos in indoor without flash of P100 are good; I do not want a digicam that ago beautiful photos in outdoor and indoor are limited. If this is true I I waited for to buy. If you have photo in indoor I I say thanks to all therefore I decide. Thanks to all Robert
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:25 AM   #8
blr

Indoors W1/p100 are limited by poor autofocus, expect roughly 1/3 of your pictures to be out of focus. The white balance is not the best in the world either, so in mixed lighting be prepared to remove color casts in post processing. If I were you I would avoid these cameras.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:29 AM   #9

All the greatest world-wide book reviews speak well about Sony P100-150. To this point or all it is false or many persons are not good to photograph. Here a new Link (sorry but is Norway) that it speaks well about Sony with points 6/6:http://akam.no/art.php?artikkelid=8994
Old Dec 20, 2004, 3:33 PM   #10
hbh

Why searchin' when the test is here. Read Steve's one. It was the reason why I have bought the P150. After 2 days testing I have no complaints. The bluring issue however is a problem all prosumer cameras have which are limited to 400 ISO with the danger of noise. If you want to make indoor pictures with low light you must buy a DSLR. There is no workaround.
hbh is offline   Reply With Quote