Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 21, 2004, 2:29 PM   #1

As youmay guess, I'm a 35mm photographer (semi-pro). I'm looking for a 'pocketable' digicam to carry around with me most of the time just for spur-of-the-moment photo opportunities.

Two Sony digicams seem to fit my needs... the DSC-F88 and DSC-W1. Actually, Iprefer the F88 because of its novel swivel-lens design (facilitating overhead and low shots)plus itsmanual modes. However, the F88's reviews have raised questions in my mind as to image-sharpness (which is paramount to me), whereas the W1's reviews indicate very good image-sharpness. I find this most curious because it seems as if they both use the same lens and sensor! :roll:

Iwould love to hear from owners of either digicam, as well as any advice you might have in helping me select one.
35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 6:47 PM   #2

I have a W1, but not an F88. From what I have read, the F88 shares the same folded optics lens as the T1. The W1 has the same lens as the P100/P150.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:02 PM   #3

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
I have a W1, but not an F88. From what I have read, the F88 shares the same folded optics lens as the T1. The W1 has the same lens as the P100/P150.
Quote:
CyberShotNut~ What wouldyou conclude from that insofar as image-quality?
Also, based on your experience with these digicams, how does the W1 compare performance-wise to the P100 and P150 (from theviewpoint of a 'take-anywhere' camera)?
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:50 AM   #4

The W1, P100 and P150 all seem to be very similar in image quality. Of course the P150 will give you slightly more resolution, but you really have to look closely to notice it. The P100/150 is more pocketable than the W1 and there is less red eye in the P100/150 pictures than the W1. I carry my P100 pretty much everywhere and have not been disappointed by the results yet.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:57 AM   #5

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
The W1, P100 and P150 all seem to be very similar in image quality. Of course the P150 will give you slightly more resolution, but you really have to look closely to notice it. The P100/150 is more pocketable than the W1 and there is less red eye in the P100/150 pictures than the W1. I carry my P100 pretty much everywhere and have not been disappointed by the results yet.

Well 5MP should be capable ofdelivering letter-size prints without a problem, soI don't really need the P150...Seeing that the W1 and P100 are going for about the same $, I'm leaning toward the W1 because of it's larger LCD (I can always take care of red-eye in PS).

Post-note: I justsaw a camera-storead in my local newspaper advertising a new V1 for $8 less than a W1 ($302 vs $310)! That soundstoo good to pass-up... Is the V1 small enough tocarry inthe pocket of asuit-jacket?
Old Dec 22, 2004, 2:18 PM   #6

In a jacket pocket, yes. Pants pocket, no. The V1 is thicker than the W1, but is more of a professional camera with a much better lens.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 2:27 PM   #7

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
In a jacket pocket, yes. Pants pocket, no. The V1 is thicker than the W1, but is more of a professional camera with a much better lens.
I'm going for the V1... as I've indicated, image-quality is of paramount importance to me and the V1appears to possess much more quality than the W1 (and it's hard to ignore the blow-out price for the V1)!

Thanks very much for your help. With all of those Sony digicams, you are an incredible reference!

Old Dec 22, 2004, 3:33 PM   #8

I think you'll be quite happy with the V1, just get an extra battery!
Old Dec 22, 2004, 6:45 PM   #9

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
I think you'll be quite happy with the V1, just get an extra battery!
Are 3rd party batteries ok, or should I stay with Sony?

Do you recommend getting a separate battery-charger?

Also, which memory sticks/cards work best (brand/speed)?
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:01 PM   #10

I never tried an aftermarket battery in my V1, but have used one in my P150 and had no trouble at all with it. I don't really see an external battery charger to be necessary, but you may find it more convenient to charge the batteries while you are out using the camera. Any brand of memory stick pro will give you the best write times thatthe camera is capable of. I have a SanDisk and a Sony 256MB memory stick pro, in my V3 the Sony is faster, but you will not notice a difference in the V1. The SanDisk holds more pictures for some reason. SanDisk=98 Sony=94 at full 5MP resolution.