Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 24, 2004, 4:23 PM   #1

Ibought a DSC-V1 yesterday and need a 512MB memory stick fora Jan '05trip, so I started'Googling'. In that size I found a Memory Stick Pro ($76) and an Ultra II Memory Stick Pro ($97). Wanting to find out if the Ultra II would actually deliver better perfomance in my V1, I phoned both Sony and SanDisk andwouldn't you know, I got contradictory responses!

The Sony agent looked it up in their support documentation and told me that it advised the use of Memory Stick Pro in that size for a DSC-V1.

The SanDisk support guy told me that the camera would definitely benefit from their Ultra II sticks because of their faster write speeds, where Ultra II is 15MB/s (vs. 9MB/s in their Memory Stick Pro). He said the UII's faster write-speed will result in proportionaltely reduced shot-to-shot times.

So who do you believe? My gut tells me SanDisk. :roll:

Merry Christmas!

35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:56 PM   #2

I guess the only way to answer that question would be to try each yourself or find out for sure what the fastest write time the camera itself is capable of. Good luck getting this info from Sony. From my past experience with Sony techs, they have no clue about their products! SanDisk will also just tell you what comes to their mind at that moment and try to get you to buytheir more expensive product.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 2:32 PM   #3

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
I guess the only way to answer that question would be to try each yourself or find out for sure what the fastest write time the camera itself is capable of. Good luck getting this info from Sony. From my past experience with Sony techs, they have no clue about their products! SanDisk will also just tell you what comes to their mind at that moment and try to get you to buytheir more expensive product.
The Sony agent did seem clueless and had to review some support docs before giving mea cursory answer. On the other hand, the SanDisk tech support person came across as being quite knowledgeable (although it wouldn't take much to fool me)!
35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:43 PM   #4

I'll have to say, I find the Sandisk Ultra II MS Pro sticks quite fast in my new P150 (I have a256MB & 512MB, both from www.newegg.com)I can't compare to genuine Sony Pro sticks, but I couldn't imagine them being much better, if any. I've shot approx ~ 300 pics with the new camera. I'm fairly impressed with it, considering I compare it with my Canon 10D.

HTH - Jim

PS - Your yellow font is really hard to read againts a white background.... just an FYI.
MackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:44 AM   #5

Then switch back to the default black so it shows up great.
f2benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 8:07 PM   #6

I love the way the yellow font looks. It looks great on my screen!
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:44 PM   #7

MackDaddy wrote:
Quote:
I'll have to say, I find the Sandisk Ultra II MS Pro sticks quite fast in my new P150
Hi - I was wondering if you've used the Sandisc Pro (not Ultra). I have the P150 and want to buy a 1G stick -- I'm willing to pay the extra for an Ultra II if someone can assure me it will make a difference. I'm not concerned about the video mode, I'm looking for shorter gaps between shots. I find the 5-shot burst mode to be a little slow to be really useful. I'm using a 512 Sandisc Pro.

Thanks.

Dave
dmaxdmax is offline   Reply With Quote