Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:41 PM   #1

Well, Iopened my ownChristmas present (a DSC-V1) and with camera in hand, I'm struggling through the manual, which seems rather complicated even for an old film-photobug like myself. ...I guess it's just a matter oflearning about the digital medium, but I'll get there - I better, because I'm planning on using it during my upcoming 3-week vacation (and I need lots of practice before then)!

Next week, I'll pick up a spare battery and a big memory stick (or 2)... I'm thinking about getting two 512MB memory sticks, or do you guysthink one is enough for 3 weeks? ...being new to the digital realm, I don't yet have a feel for that.

Merry Christmas!

35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:50 PM   #2

At about 190 pictures a piece in best resolution, I'd go with two of them for a 3 week vacation. Unless you bring a laptop with you to dump the pictures into each day...
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:00 PM   #3

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
At about 190 pictures a piece in best resolution, I'd go with two of them for a 3 week vacation. Unless you bring a laptop with you to dump the pictures into each day...
Thanks CyberShotNut. This may be a dumb question, but remember that I'm new to digicams... When shooting vacation pics (where I'd want to make large prints of the best), is thereany situationwhereIshould use anything less then 5MP/Fine mode?

Also, when shooting digital pics on vacation, should I assume that it's too hectic a situation to review and erase bad shotswhile I'm on thego?
Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:06 PM   #4

Always shoot in the best resolution, unless you want to e-mail the pictures only. VGA and 1MP is great for e-mail. Use TIFF mode for any special photos you want in the best quality possible with your camera.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2004, 1:24 PM   #5

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
Always shoot in the best resolution, unless you want to e-mail the pictures only. VGA and 1MP is great for e-mail. Use TIFF mode for any special photos you want in the best quality possible with your camera.
Yeah, that's what's behind my last question (above)... If I don'thave time to review anderase my bad shots because I'm on-the-go, I'll definitely need 2 512 sticks (or 1 1GBstick).
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:01 AM   #6

You should get a 1GB stick, not 2 512's! I had 2 cards and it is so frustrating changing cards all the time. The 1GB sticks are so cheap now, I bought a 512 last summer at a huge discount and now the 1 GIG stick is that same huge discount price that my 512 cost!!!

And yes, you should definitely shoot in the highest MP mode, just so you can have the best quality pics out of your camera, doesn't matter what size you'll be printing to!

And last but not least have fun on your vacation!!!
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:56 AM   #7

Sola wrote:
Quote:
You should get a 1GB stick, not 2 512's! I had 2 cards and it is so frustrating changing cards all the time. The 1GB sticks are so cheap now, I bought a 512 last summer at a huge discount and now the 1 GIG stick is that same huge discount price that my 512 cost!!!

And yes, you should definitely shoot in the highest MP mode, just so you can have the best quality pics out of your camera, doesn't matter what size you'll be printing to!

And last but not least have fun on your vacation!!!
Sola~ Thanks for the advice. The very best deal I've found on a SanDisk 1GB Memory Stick Pro is$146 (+ 8.25% tax in CA). Do you know of any better deals?
Old Dec 26, 2004, 12:48 PM   #8
Administrator

35mm wrote:
Quote:
Sola~ Thanks for the advice. The very best deal I've found on a SanDisk 1GB Memory Stick Pro is$146 (+ 8.25% tax in CA). Do you know of any better deals?
Make sure you check the customer reviews of vendors you consider:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-SanDis...K_PRO~S-P~OR-0

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 2:15 PM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Make sure you check the customer reviews of vendors you consider:

http://www50.shopping.com/xPC-SanDis...K_PRO~S-P~OR-0
I always do that Jim and thanks for the link. The best 'reputable' deal is $150 (delivered) from B&H.

If I went with some ebay stores, I could save about $15, but it's just not worth the risk.