Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 25, 2004, 3:37 PM   #1

Hi, I'm looking to buy a Sony DSC-P93. However sometimes I see to it being referred to as DSC-P93a and sometimes DSC-P93. Is there an actual difference? Was the P93a a minor upgrade to fix some bugs in the P93? Does the "a" refer to the colour of the camera even though it is only made in one colour? Are they all P93as but they just forget towrite the whole thing out sometimes?
finalcoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2004, 11:19 PM   #2

Same camera...... The P93A is for the Canadian market: http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...th=32090n47385
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:00 AM   #3

No, that's why. I mean we used to have the DSC-P93 here in Canada a long time ago even on sonystyle.ca. The thing is if you go to Sony Japan or Sony Europe they also have the P93A but not the P93. And besides, here in Canada we have the P73 no P73A ever existed here. So there must be a hardware difference between the P93 and 93A. Maybe new firmware, the random blurry picture problem reported by some P93 owners? I'm sure that second thought there wouldanger alot of people who brought the P93 if that was the case. What the change is though I don't know.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:08 AM   #4

Not that they really know anything about their products, but Sony support told me it was the identical camera, just for a different market.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:15 PM   #5

The truth is found for the differences in the P93 and P93A: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28
Old Jan 9, 2005, 12:30 PM   #6

Hi there,

I'm absolutely gutted. I went out with the intention of buying the sony p93 and have come back with the p93a. I asked in the shop what the difference was and the lady said the p93a came with extra batteries and bag (and so it did as an extra box is attached)

I came home and have just found out the real difference. My question is are there any differences in actual photo qulaity. I can live with a poorer LCD screen, but if there's anything else that's different then I'm going to raise hell with the shop keeper.

Thanks

Daniella

Daniella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:58 PM   #7

No, I have done numerous tests between the P93 and P93A and the only difference is the LCD. The image quality was identical between the two.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:19 AM   #8

Ya, I just noticed that comparing the two manuals. But who cares about the number of pixels. Besides, the more pixels, the more prone to it breaking. I don't admire my photos on the LCD anyways. Sony probably figured it wasn't worth having that much pixels on a TINY screen and neither do I. I mean the thing is smaller than the screen on my Motorola V710 and still has about the same amout of pixels per area so who cares. It's not like it's the size ofa W1 screen or even the size of the P100/150.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:02 AM   #9

Well........., if you go to sonystyle.com it actually lists the specs for the P93 as having only 67000 pixels:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...lCameras#specs

So it's not advertised as having more than the p93a
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:05 AM   #10

And the P93a on sonystyle.ca says the lcd is 67000 pixels. So I'm not sure if you got the right info. Look:

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...th=32090n47385
kski is offline   Reply With Quote