Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:57 PM   #1

Hi,

Having bought ourselves a P100 for Christmas, we've just downloaded the first hundred or so photos taken over a couple of days only to find that most of the ones taken indoors are blurred - and not from moving the camera, but it seems from too slow a shutter speed.

I've attached one image as an example.

I've read through most of the posts on here and am really concerned that we've bought a dud. We spent a lot of timing reading reviews etc. and nothing was really mentioned about it and then I type in "Sony P100 blur" and get so many hits it's not funny.

Can people post their suggested camera settings to get try to fix this?

I've tried a couple of different scene modes and focussing modes but nothing seems to help the problem and if we cannot fix it then the camera will have to go back as most of the time it's going to be used in doors taking photos of kids etc.

Thanks

Chris
Attached Images

fritzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:14 AM   #2

You can read my post about this issue and see if it helps you out any: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=28
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 1:45 PM   #3
TNT

Chris,

The picture shows the kid was moving due to slow shutter speed/long exposure time of 1/8s at ISO100. For the same light level, you can turn up ISO to 400 (if you can stand the noise level at ISO400, which is very fine and usable with my W1) for faster shutter speed or you have to turn up the light level or use flash. If you don't want to use flash and don't like noise at ISO400, you'll have to get a camera with larger sensor like DRebel or D70 etc, so you can have lower noise at higher ISO. There's no other setting to get around it, I'm sure.

Anyways, check out my pics and my opinion about the W1/P100 at this thread: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...89&forum_id=28

It is somewhat troublesome to get the best out of the W1/P100, so if you want the easy way, get a Canon A95 or S60/S70, but these are slower/less responsive than the W1/P100.

TNT
TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 5:34 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

We will play around with the camera as suggested and see what happens. For what it's worth, we've been taking more photos just holding the camera a lot tighter and that seems to help. I guess you forget about the steadying effect of holding a camera against your face.

Cheers

Chris
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:02 AM   #5
TNT

Chris,

Holding firm the camera would always help, but only with static non-moving things like those in the picture above which seem to be not blurry. But the kid was moving and shutter speed at 1/8s would just show it. The shutter speed should be faster if you want sharp images of moving objects.

One thing I forgot, if you can afford the not much more expensive P150, you should definitely exchange the P100 for it. Beside the higher resolution 7mp vs 5mp, the p150 appears to have a less aggressive noise reduction system and therefore a more detailed, higher image quality than the P100. And yet its noise level is still very low, even seems to be better than the V3 from images I've seen. For everything else, P150 is just identical to P100.

TNT
TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:12 AM   #6

in your picture the only part of the picture that is blurry is the head. He must have been moving his head when you took it. Use the flash and you won't have blurry pics. Otherwise if you don't want to use the flash, use a tripod.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 5:41 AM   #7

Thanks,

The flash was on, it just seems that the shutter speed is too slow. There were many pictures like this. We are experimenting with settings and putting the camera on a tripod to see if it is us or the camera that is playing up.

Chris
Old Jan 1, 2005, 8:58 AM   #8
Administrator

fritzzz wrote:
Quote:
Thanks,

The flash was on, it just seems that the shutter speed is too slow. There were many pictures like this. We are experimenting with settings and putting the camera on a tripod to see if it is us or the camera that is playing up.

Chris
Chris:

The EXIF information in the sample you posted shows that the flash did not fire (which is why the camera needed a shutter speed of 1/8 second for proper exposure). I'd check to make sure you don't have the flash forced off.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 6:45 AM   #9

yep from the looks of the pic the flash certainly did not fire.
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:37 AM   #10

More learning - thanks for the note on EXIF - went and sussed this all out and it's amazing what's there. We've taken many more photos over the past week or so and they seem to be better. We are using P mode for indoors and automatic for outdoors and the photos have been great, with the blurring much reduced.

Cheers