Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:58 AM   #11

Yes they are completely comparable! And once again Sony comes out on top! The fact is that the V3 is way better than the G6, I know, I've had them both!!!! I buy, test, and sell camaras. And no question Sony beats the pants off the Canon. I beg to differ with you who say the differences are so slight. The photos were a perfect example Meryl. Usually the test photos on these review sites are pretty poor but even in these poor samples there is a huge difference in quality. The Sony has better color, less noise, and is much more sharp! Just read the forums about the G6 and see what people are complaining about. If someone is reading this set of posts, go with the V3 it clearly has much better picture quality than the Canon! And don't forget, it is Sony who makes most of the ccd sensor chips, even canon's, so obviously Sony has the technology! At last but not least, Sony has way better video and it can go as long as your memory sticks!!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:04 PM   #12

Ok people, let's to say on this way…

I'm not professional photographer, I'm a professional programmer but photography is my hobby for last couple of years. Many of my very good friends are professional photographers and no one of them has ever used the Sony. All of them are Canon or Nikon users and only one use Fuji. So, Kski maybe all that people are stupid because they are not buying new and super-ultra Sony technology.

TNT and Meryl
We make some tests with some cameras sometimes and doing some comparisons in "real world" pictures.
About this I can only say… every Sony camera which I've tried, made worse pictures than Canon or Nikon camera in that class… more noise, more purple fringing, oversaturation and color intensity.

Maybe that's my personal opinion but I never had positive results with Sony against Canon or Nikon.
… or maybe I don't know to work with Sony!
DuxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:26 PM   #13
kci

I own these two cameras for a while and took more than 500 pics in different light conditions. I also put my notes on G6 forum today. According to my experience, the reviews on the web , even the professional reviews, are only your basic reference. To get your final conclusion you have to try yourself. My personal conclusion is: V3 is better camera than G6 for a all-arround camera.

It is not fair to use professional cameras asthe samples here. No doubt, both Nikon and Canon make very good professional ones. Did you see any professional photographer use G6?
kci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:49 AM   #14

Kcy
for professional purpose of course not, but like "all around camera" most of them. I made some tests with G6 and Digital Rebel and I've got some very interesting results.

Digital Rebel gives me in most cases nice, smooth pictures with perfect gradient but too soft, little overexposed and pretty low sharpness in corners. On the other side G6 make something more noise but much sharper shots in every corner. Almost all pictures I've made with G6 have perfect saturation, exposure and sharpness. In "nature shooting" test G6 (for my taste) have better results than Rebel (with Rebel in some cases I need to make some sharpening corrections in Photoshop). But when I make some pictures in my billiard club in hard lighting conditions Digital Rebel has better results especially with shadows and little saturated surfaces. When I tried some Sony cameras (V1, F717, P150, P93) in the club I had much worse results than with G6. Ok I know that all off these models are not comparable with G6 because they are not in he same class but they have many similarities in specific circumstances.

In all my experiments with Sony I can only say this… If you want good point and shoot camera yes you can go with Sony and I think you'll be very satisfied, but in case you need something more of that on the other side you'll find a better choice.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:49 AM   #15

Quote:
I'm not professional photographer, I'm a professional programmer but photography is my hobby for last couple of years. Many of my very good friends are professional photographers and no one of them has ever used the Sony. All of them are Canon or Nikon users and only one use Fuji. So, Kski maybe all that people are stupid because they are not buying new and super-ultra Sony technology.
Last time I looked DuxX, Sony doesn't make a dSLR. So What is your point?

--Casey
septik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 5:53 PM   #16
kci

DuxX:

This is the 1st time I got somebody say "much worse" for the picture comparation of this two brands. I got your point. You are a fan of some brand. Good. I also own a Canon 20D, definitely not Rebel. I am also a professional programer but I have over 20 years SLR experience. All-arrond here means you can have your camera with you all the time, even in your jacket pocket(not in a heavy camera bag or box), and you can take very good picture in any condition of lighting or else. You need tons of features to make that possible, not just point and shoot!

I don't think these 2 cameras (G6 & V3) are too expensive for a professional programer. Before you read my comments on canon forum, buy or borrow these cameras and try them in all lighting conditions. Also, if you are a fun of certain brand just forget what I said here. At least you have something you like.

I hope you will find yourself right. My brother took my V3 away. Good luck.

Happy new year.
kci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 6:48 PM   #17

Oh Pllleeeeeaaaase!!! The Sony V3 is better than the G6 and no matter how loyal you may be to Canon DuxX, the product speaks for itself! No one said anything about a professional camera because neither the canon nor the sony that we're talking about are pro cameras. But for what they are advanced compact digitals, the Sony takes the cake.

Sorry, you may not like to hear it but read what people are complaining about with their canon g6 and you'll see that the Sony V3 is much better. And in my own experience with both, the Sony colors are way way better than the canon's and the Sony has less noise and NO purple fringing.
Sola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 7:10 PM   #18

I chosed V3 over G6 after i tried both. Need something that can focus in low lighting. i thought that if i can have the best camera, but if it can't focus(autofocus), no use then for me at least. and the v3's focusing is really fast! :shock: I also like the output of the V3 better. I think it produces better pictures(sharper and nice colour). of course the g6 is not that far. but like i said, better focusing, better feel in my hand, larger lcd.. it wasa close call. but finally a V3 for me. and am really happy with it at the moment
max211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:49 AM   #19

No Kci,
I'm not a fan of any brand. If Sony makes better model than Canon or other manufacturer in the same price class I'll be very grateful to Sony and I'll buy it. Everything I said is result of my experience with these two brands. In most cases Sony gives me non-natural colors (little oversaturated) especially green and blue. Maybe that is my personal prefer, but the others people I working with have the same opinion. Like I said before, maybe we don't know to work with Sony, who knows.

However, G6 give me excellent image quality (colors, saturation, shadows, sharpness), excellent battery life and very good ergonomics. Pictures I made with G6 in some cases is better than with Rebel and with G6 I NEVER had any problem with focus in low lighting conditions like someone's here said before. Until now I don't have opportunity to work especially with V3 but I'll try to borrow one and see is it Sony make big step ahead. I must say… I'm very suspicious about that.

Only thing that can be better with G6 is red eye reduction but if you have external flash problem is solved.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:59 AM   #20

Oh almost to forget happy New Year for all of you!!! :-)