Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 28, 2004, 12:39 PM   #1

Just got a V1 and being a digicam newbie, Iactually read the manual... It recommends doing a 'half-press' and waiting for the AE/AF indicator to come on steady before continuing to trip the shutter.

I presume this is because of autofocus lag... While this isn't abig dealwith a stationary subject, how in the world can you depend on autofocus with moving subjects, like kids? :?
35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:45 PM   #2

There are several options (and these apply to film as well as digital photographers).

Some cameras have the option of Single AF as well as Continuous AF. CAF will track a moving subject (as long as it is in the focus area) regardless of what you do with the shutter button. It doesn't lock focus. This is good for a subject moving towards you for example. The Sony V3 also has Monitoring AF (MAF) which adjusts focus continuously and finally locks when you half-press the shutter button.

Some people who are shooting action shots use the camera's hyperfocal setting to have most of the scene in focus.

If you have a good idea where the 'action' will take place (such as homeplate at a baseball game or the first turn at a race) then you can use the manual focus of your camera to prefocus at that distance.

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:39 PM   #3

Meryl~ Besides Single AF, the V1 also has Monitoring AF and Continuous AF (as you described), but I'm kind of confused as to when it's best to useM-AF or C-AF. Seems as if they do the same thing other than M-AF is able to lock focus, but what advantageis that? Can you provide any insight to this?
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:54 PM   #4

If the subject is moving towards me, I would use CAF. If the subject is moving randomly (and maybe stopping occasionally) I would use the MAF. In that way the camera will track the object until I lock the focus when it stops.

If you forget AF and use the lenses hyperfocal setting then you can forget about tracking all together and just try to stop the action. Having the focus already set removes almost all shutter lag allowing you to capture really fast actions.

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:36 PM   #5

Thanks.