Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 3, 2005, 5:47 PM   #1
sdh

$625 @ circuit city on Saturday and I couldnt resist so I took the plunge :-) This thing is definetely a powerhouse compared to my W1! Couple questions Im hoping someone can help me with:

1) what is the difference between center and spot metering? From the descriptions in the manual they sound like exactly the same thing. Am I misunderstanding?

2)are there any advantages to using RAW over TIF? I know raw files are smaller than tif's (though not muchwith the V3) but besides that are there any other advantages? Like forimage editing?

thanks!

-steve
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:33 PM   #2

Spot metering covers a much smaller area from which to determine exposure. You can select a specific important part of the shot...somebody's face for example...to make sure the camera exposes that part correctly.

Center weighted averaging metering looks at the light levels over most of the scene but gives more weight to what it right in the center of the viewfinder.

You have more control with the spot meter.

I am not a fan of RAW at all so somebody else should answer this part of your question.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:23 PM   #3

RAW mode lets you edit the photo (color temp., brightness, contrast)before it is processed, equivalent to a negative in a film camera. TIFF mode is just a higher quality uncompressed file format.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:09 PM   #4
sdh

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
RAW mode lets you edit the photo (color temp., brightness, contrast)before it is processed, equivalent to a negative in a film camera. TIFF mode is just a higher quality uncompressed file format.
Understood, but what Im still confused about is, since the TIFF file is uncompressed, couldnt you do the same editing, with the same conservation of image quality,as you can with RAW? Or,is the casethat,editing of camera-specific RAW images is done on software that understands the file format, and so you can do things that you can't do w/ TIFF? (or, you can do the same things better?)

Sorry,I realize this isn't totally Sony specific, but I'd always thought that RAW files were lossLESS compressed, and thus smaller than TIFFs, and that that was the main advantage to RAW. (butI thunk wrong?) Thanks for bearing with me:-)
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:12 PM   #5
sdh

Meryl Arbing wrote:
Quote:
Spot metering covers a much smaller area from which to determine exposure. You can select a specific important part of the shot...somebody's face for example...to make sure the camera exposes that part correctly.

Center weighted averaging metering looks at the light levels over most of the scene but gives more weight to what it right in the center of the viewfinder.

You have more control with the spot meter.
This makes sense! So with spot metering the workflow would be, put the 'spot' over what you want to expose correctly, then set AE lock, recompose the shot and shoot, yes? Thanks :-)
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:23 PM   #6

Yes, it gives you a greater level of control over what is correctly exposed.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:10 AM   #7

Here's a good explanation of the ins and outs of the RAW file format.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...aw-files.shtml

The V3 is quite slow when in RAW mode, so I only use it in situations where I can carefully compose the shot and am looking for the absolute best picture possible (i.e. family photos, landscapes, etc.) My everyday shooting is just done in the highest quality jpeg mode.

--Casey
septik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:40 PM   #8

I bought a V3 myself the other day and have been looking for a good price for a VAD-VHA lens adapter for it. I found one at digitalphotoclub.com for $22.45 free ship and no tax. Seems like a great price, if any V3 owners are interested. I just sold my V1 and have my F828 for sale on ebay .... I think I will just stick with the V3 for now and see what Sony comes up with for the F828 replacement. Anyone know of good price on filters for the V3 ? :roll:
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:08 PM   #9
sdh

septik wrote:
Quote:
Here's a good explanation of the ins and outs of the RAW file format.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...aw-files.shtml
Thanks again for the replies, all! This website was alsoverryyy informative