Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:36 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
CyberShotNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 673
Default

5 minute job for replacement, it's like sony expects the LCD to break! Too bad the LCD costs $126.34..

1) remove case screws and rear case

2)remove 2 black screws from switch board on the right

3)unsnap the tabs on the sides of the LCD and lift LCD

4)unplud LCD and backlight cables (they just pull straight out of the connectors)

5)push in the LCD cables into the sockets

6)carefully snap the new LCD inplace

7)replace switch board and screws

8) re attach the rear cover.DONE

Here are some photos of the easy replacement: http://photobucket.com/albums/v477/CyberShotNut/W1LCD/
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
CyberShotNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 673
Default

LOL! the number 8 with a bracket after it is a rotating smiley
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 117
Default

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
LOL! the number 8 with a bracket after it is a rotating smiley
hehehehe

how'd u break the lcd? nice pics
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
CyberShotNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 673
Default

I repaired it for a friend of mine, he said he just barely tapped it against the corner of a table by accident.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 3:09 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
chushpajz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10
Default

could I install infront of the LCD somekind of a protection surface? glass or something. the screen is big and every five minutes i have to clean my W1 LCD from fingertips:sad:
chushpajz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 117
Default

chushpajz wrote:
Quote:
could I install infront of the LCD somekind of a protection surface? glass or something. the screen is big and every five minutes i have to clean my W1 LCD from fingertips:sad:
I've put those PDA screen protectors on my cameras... they work a treat. However they don't protect from cracks, just finger prints, smudges, etc.
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1
Default

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
5 minute job for replacement, it's like sony expects the LCD to break! Too bad the LCD costs $126.34..

1) remove case screws and rear case

2)remove 2 black screws from switch board on the right

3)unsnap the tabs on the sides of the LCD and lift LCD

4)unplud LCD and backlight cables (they just pull straight out of the connectors)

5)push in the LCD cables into the sockets

6)carefully snap the new LCD inplace

7)replace switch board and screws

8) re attach the rear cover.DONE

Here are some photos of the easy replacement: http://photobucket.com/albums/v477/CyberShotNut/W1LCD/
Hey, found this howto via google. It was exactly what I needed.

I do have a couple of additional notes though that may help the next person.

1. The screw behind the battery door does not need to be removed and is smaller than the 00 phillips heads required for the rest of the body screws.
2. The front half of the body does hold parts of the back half. Especially on the side with the strap.
3. Feeding the lcd connector cable back into the connector was a bit of a pain, but I tend to fat finger stuff.
4. I have part numbers and information from Sony as of 8/21/07
Model: DSCW1 Replacement LCD Screen
Item - ( LCD - ACX326CM-3 ), 875322484, $63.76 ea.
Contact info:
Phone: 1-800-488-7669.

Web: Sony Direct Accessories & Parts Center web site - http://www.sony.com/accessories
And to research different parts:
http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web/partsResearch.do

Sony was able to look up the part and respond to my questions in a form when their search tool did not work.

Thanks for the writeup,
J

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.