Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:09 AM   #1

This camera is nice but the quality of thehousing is really poor. I put the camera in my pocket wrappped in a small soft cloth bag along with some house keys and when i took it out later in the day I noticed that it had three or four small dents on the part that swivels. Man, was I upset. I've only had the camera two weeks. I can't believe that the case is so flimsy and dents so easily.
Attached Images

golfinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:53 AM   #2

I noticed the metal onalot of the Sony cams is very thin. You should look into a padded case for it and don't put it in a pocket with anything else in it.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:24 AM   #3

Thanks CybershotNut. I just ordered the carrying case from Sony. Believe me, I learned my lesson. Will make sure it's in a pocket all by itself!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 7:34 AM   #4

In your pants? What do you expect? It' isn't solid. It's a 4 1/2" long aluminum housed electronic device.I don't even know how you got it in your pants to begin with, wrapped up. And youcan sit down with that big lump there too?Wow, your lucky it didn't break in two.Did you have other items in there as well, helping to cause those dents? I keep keys and money inmy pocketsand occasionally my hands and sometimesother peoples hands too, but not my5" longcamera.
frankpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:38 AM   #5

Frank,

Funny!

I agree...I like to be able to put my camera in my pocket, but keys will definitely 'stab' the heck out of a camera case, regardless of what brand it is...you're lucky if the keys do not destroy or scratch the heck out of the LCD on most cameras as they tend to be exposed.

I bought a lightly padded case for my M1 with a belt strap...easy enough...if I put the thing in my pocket, I'd put it in a BIG pocket with nothing else in it.

Also, of note, although the case in the example here was banged up a little, I'm sure none of the functions were adversely affected...Sony makes great products and usually, their reliability is second to none!

Headless
the-headless_horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:21 AM   #6

the camera was in a large coat pocket with plenty of room. just be careful!
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:24 AM   #7

in the pre production reviews, they were concerned about the durability of the LCD swivel and the battery cover. any comments on how solid these things seem in the post production models?
hmotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 1:21 PM   #8

the housing is not very durable. dents very easily! great camera otherwise.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:11 AM   #9

I'm surprised it dented that easily. Are you sure it wasn't in your back pocket with keys in it and you sat on it? I can't believe that it would just get dented otherwise. It's not made of playdough!:shock:
kski is offline   Reply With Quote