Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:15 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm planning to buy my first digital camera. I'm buying it through my relative in USA who is coming back on Jan 26. I would have chosen Canon A85 except for its video limitations. So I have decided on Sony and zeroed down on 2 cameras; Sony DSC P73 or Sony W1. W1 has got Carl Zeiss lens and it has got 1 MegaPixels extra compared to P73. (I'm not very bothered about the adiiional MP since I won't blow up photos more than 6x8). I also read that it is faster.

Now, W1 is around $75 more compared to P73. Please suggest me if W1 is worth this additional price ? I was thinking that for this additional money, I could buy more memory (Sony memory is costly!!)

Thanks for the advice ?
Benny.

bennyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:25 AM   #2

The W1 has a much bigger display and is faster. There isn't a major difference in image quality, but the W1 will be slightly sharper and more detailed. If you plan to keep the camera for a while and will use it alot, I think the W1 is worth the extra money. If you don't use a camera much and don't need the extra features, go for the P73.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 2:57 AM   #3

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
The W1 has a much bigger display and is faster. There isn't a major difference in image quality, but the W1 will be slightly sharper and more detailed.
P73 1/2.7" CCD
W1 1/1.8" CCD

I think there is a major difference in image quality (looking at sample pics) specially under low light conditions.
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:10 PM   #4

For the same megapixels, the CCD size usually indicates the generation of the camera. But P73 is a 4Mp camera, while W1 is 5Mp.

Many reviews have praises for the W1, so I chose this camera in the recent holidays as my first real digital camera.

Aside from the better resolution, the metal body and a 2.5" display make it worth the extra USD75.

The use of penlight batteries offsets the extra expense you may incur on Sony memory.

Just my opinion.
virgil_dlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:37 AM   #5

After using a friend's W1 for a couple days, I couldn't go back to a smaller LCD, and decided to get myself one. That alone to me is worth the extra money!

The LCD is the same as my Camcorder's LCD, so it just works out great for me.
Pic-It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:55 AM   #6

i suggest that u get the W1, it has superb image quality , super fast focus, and it's low light condition performance is just perfect... i had it for 2 weeks and it's super great, get with it the 512mb memory stick pro. u won't regret it...
hatembitar1 is offline   Reply With Quote