Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:30 AM   #1

Hi,

I've been fiddling with the cam for a couple of weeks. However, still can't find a way to adjust EV when in manual mode. The aperture and shutter is adjustable, but the EV is greyed out.

Anyone can help me on this?

Thanks!
mudsoap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:57 AM   #2

The camera is operating correctly. They assume that if you want to adjust exposure you will also do that manually. If you want to over or under expsoe a certain amount, then you can change the aperture and/or shutter speed accordingly. EV is just an override for the AutoExposure system and isn't needed if you are doing all the work yourself.

So, you say, I know that f4: 1/1000th at ISO100 is correct for this light but since I am shooting snow, I will open up the aperture to keep the snow white rather than have it turn grey."

If you were shooting in P mode, then you would need the EV to override the camera's exposure decisions because of the white snow.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:07 PM   #3

It still puzzles me.. so does that mean in 'Fully Manual mode' i am only able to adjust the shutter and aperture? It doesn't make sense if that i have to adjust the shutter/aperture values to change the EV values rite?
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:24 PM   #4
TNT

Why does it not make sense??? Even in automatic/program modes when you use the Exposure Compensation function (proper name for Sony's "EV" adjustment), the camera itself still has to adjust for you the shutter/aperture values which are the only two things that control an exposure. Manual mode means that you set and retain control of those values yourself to suit your creativity purposes instead of the camera doing it automatically.

It actually doesn't make sense that you want to put in an exposure compensation value in manual mode, because the camera doesn't have control of either shutter speed or apreture setting and doesn't know which one it needs to adjust to suit your demand.

If you insist on using the EV adjustment, use Av or Tv mode and still have a creativity control over the camera .
TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:35 PM   #5
Administrator

mudsoap wrote:
Quote:
It still puzzles me.. so does that mean in 'Fully Manual mode' i am only able to adjust the shutter and aperture? It doesn't make sense if that i have to adjust the shutter/aperture values to change the EV values rite?
If you're in manual exposure mode, you control the exposure via aperture and shutter speed settings. If you're in Autoexposure mode (or one of the modes that the camera is still selecting the aperture or shutter speed for you), you can vary the exposure from what the autoexposure would normally set by using Exposure Compensation (which is only varying the aperture and/or shutter speed).

EV stands for Exposure Value (which is how light is measured). So, when you see someone mention EV Compensation, it's another way of saying Exposure Compensation.

When you use a +EV setting, it brightens the exposure by the amount specified. The way it brightens the exposure is by using a slower shutter speed and/or larger aperture than the autoexposure would use based on the metering.

When you use a -EV setting, it darkens the exposure. The way it accomplishes this is by using a faster shutter speed and/or smaller aperture than the autoexposure would use based on the metering.

So, you don't have Exposure Compensation (a.k.a., EV Compensation) in Manual Exposure Mode (since you're already controlling both Aperture and Shutter Speed manually).

What you will see in Manual Exposure Mode is an indication of howyour settings are impacting exposure. For example, if you are underexposing the photo, you'll see a -EV value. -1.0 would mean that you are underexposing by one stop (compared to what the camera's metering thinks is needed for the scene). Or, if you see a +EV Value, you are overexposingby that amount (based onwhat the camera is metering for the scene). So, youadjust your aperture and shutter speed manually for the desired result.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:49 AM   #6

hmm.. thanks for the explanation jimc.. i guess it clears my misconception of 'fully manual mode' now..