Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:00 PM   #91

Has anyone here been able to directly compare a P100/150 with the P200? I'm interested in figuring out whether the Marine Pack I currently own for my P100(an MPK-PHB) will work with the P200.

Sony does not list it as a compatible accessory, but the cameras are so close in size and shape that I'm hoping my current Marine Pack will work...

Thanks in advance...

-Andrew
amcoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:03 AM   #92

Here's a couple pictures taken with the P200:
Attached Images

kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:03 AM   #93

Another:
Attached Images

kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 3:07 PM   #94

MUST READ THISSSSS

Sony P200 for 340$ on dell.com !!!!!!!!!

enjoy,
kaz
kazaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:50 AM   #95

Gabby wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Dave for the examples - I kind of figured that's what I'd be looking for.

I'll give it another go at the weekend - I am now pretty sure I didn't get my settings 100% right.

Hi

Just to confirm ran the test again this weekend and no problems whatsoever on blurring at the edges. Have used the P200 a lot this weekend and have been really pleased with the results.

Sorry Dave - I guess your P200 did have a fault. Let me know how the new one is.
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:45 AM   #96

hey gabby,

i am trying to decide on p200 soon before the dell offer runs out....
can you help me with the blurry images in low light thing? does it mean auto mode is not good under low light. if so, does the user need to go to manual? and if that is the case, will i be missing critical shots?

thanks a lot for ur time!!
kaz.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:58 AM   #97

gabby.....
my bad....read your post in a different thread....thanx a lot again!

kaz.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 7:17 AM   #98

Gabby wrote:
Quote:
Hi

Just to confirm ran the test again this weekend and no problems whatsoever on blurring at the edges. Have used the P200 a lot this weekend and have been really pleased with the results.

Sorry Dave - I guess your P200 did have a fault. Let me know how the new one is.
Hi Gabby,

No need to apologise! I'm glad to hear that your P200 is firing on all cylinders and that there isn't a general fault with this model or batch.

I have my replacement and it seems to be fine. I think the problem with the first one was a slight misalignment of one of the lens elements. I've realised that apart from the excessive softness in the far top-left corner, this resulted in there being surprisingly little softness in the top-right, less than in the bottom corners and almost as good as the centre!

The replacement has a more even performance, with slight softness in each corner at 38mm/f2.8, within acceptable limits and not apparent at other focal lengths or apertures. My test shot is pretty tough, asking the camera to resolve print that's just over 1mm high on a photo of a folded-out 750x600mm newspaper. In the new camera's 38mm/f2.8 image, you can read just about every word, the print being extremely clear over almost the entire image and only softening noticeably in corner areas representing about 5% of the whole image. At 38mm/f5.6, every single letter is clear over the whole image, apart from some tiny print about 0.6mm high in one corner, and even with that you can still make out the words.

Having got the boring tests out of the way, I had fun taking some real pictures yesterday. I think it's a great little camera. In fact it's a great camera that happens also to be little.

Dave
Attached Images

davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 12:49 PM   #99

It is a great camera that does happen to be little.

On a side note, I went to Circuit City's website and read the user review of the P200 there just out of curiosity. If you want a laugh, go take a look at the only review there. I tried to send in my own updated review but for some reason it doesn't let me. Here is a part of his review.

Reviewer: Chris from Lutz, FL on Wed Feb 23 13:13:36 EST 2005 on circuitcity.com

"I'm not too sure why Sony came out with a new version of the P150 considering not much has changed. The LCD is slightly larger on the P200 and the plastic cover over it is good to have, but has slightly less resolution and the difference is noticable when the two are side by side. As for speed and photo quality, so far they both seem to be 100% identical.

I was thinking the P200 was going to be slimmer for some reason. It's not. It actually seems to be slightly bigger."
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:30 PM   #100

:-)I had the opportunity to own both the P150 and the P200. Unfortunately, I dropped and broke the P150 so I replaced it with the P200. Some welcome additions; larger LCD, manual white balance, center weighted focus and center weighted metering. I am now used to the setup being located in each mode rather than on the dial. I don't like the fact that the lens adapter has changed so a new one is required to use the accessories. Of particular note is I find far fewer blurry photos than before, due in part to what I believe is a better focusing mechanism than the P150.
larrybda is offline   Reply With Quote