Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:39 PM   #61

Hy Kski,

I think 6 mins is pretty good!
Whats the "window" you are refering on P200?

About memory, can I use Sandisk 1Gb Memory Stick Pro for p200? (bhphotovideo have it for 109$ though)

I am trying to find the best deal online which is also reliable with warranty since i heard of many users facing problems with new sony cameras.

thanks,
kaz.
kazaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:54 AM   #62

Yup! Mine was a sandisk memory stick pro 512mb card and it worked perfect in my W1. It did about 6 minutes and a few seconds of video in fine mode. You'll get 12 minutesand a few seconds on your 1GB stick. You know that is a great deal! I ran to the U.S. to buy the 512 pro last summer because it was on sale for $134 from $179 and that was an awesome deal cause in Canada it was $300!!! Now the 1GB is even cheaper???? That's amazing! Technology is moving the right way in price!

The "window" I'm talking about is a cover over the LCD. With the W1 the LCD was bare so if you press on it, like a laptop screen it changes color where you finger is, and I hated that, I couldn't believe it wasn't protected. The P200 has a strong plastic or glass window over the LCD so you won't directly be touching the LCD. They need to do that with all their cameras.

My brother was supposed to email me pics today from his P200 but he didn't, I hope he does tomorrow so I can post some here!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 3:25 AM   #63

kski wrote:
Quote:

The "window" I'm talking about is a cover over the LCD. With the W1 the LCD was bare so if you press on it, like a laptop screen it changes color where you finger is, and I hated that, I couldn't believe it wasn't protected.

My brother was supposed to email me pics today from his P200 but he didn't, I hope he does tomorrow so I can post some here!
I didnt know that about W1. All cameras i seen like canon and nikon have sturdy lcd screens with hard glass.

Oh yeah the 1GB is now at about 100$ on bhphotovideo.com

great ur brother already bought p200!!
hoping to see that sony resolved the low shutter speed in auto mode which led to few blurry shots by users in p150.
and maybe software upgrade too :-)

thanks,
kaz
kazaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:29 AM   #64

Re: my P200 pre-order from Berridge in the UK, I wrote:
Quote:
kazaan wrote:
Quote:
That sucks bigtime !!
After raising interest in customers they cant simply spike the price :evil:
Just to clarify, they've raised the current advertised price on their website, they haven't said anything to me about an increase so I assume that they will honour the deal.
I have just had an email to say that my order has been shipped and confirming the original price.
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 9:15 AM   #65

I'm getting my P200 today

I won't get to use it too much tonight, but I'll try and post some of my first impressions tomorrow. I'm excited!!!
aeplumly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:09 AM   #66

Quote:
"Berridge, from whom I ordered a P200 last week, have just given me the following delivery estimate:

"We suspect that the P200 will be due in March now. Sony havn't confirmed this but they have indicated that it's going to be longer than 3 weeks as we originally thought."

They have also raised the price from £234 when I ordered to £264. They presumably noticed that they were £30-£60 cheaper than anyone else!"
I reckon that is still a pretty good price - I just cancelled my order at Komplett for a Black P200 because I'm fed up of waiting and got a cheaper one at Berridge which hopefully I'll have tomorrow or just after the weekend.

The colour is not an issue for me -I onlyordered from Komplett because it was the first website to list it for sale at the time.

Thanks guys for keeping me updated on when and where these have become available. :-)
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 3:43 PM   #67

Hi folks Amazon UK are selling it for £249.99 delivered not in stock tho.

Ive currently got an Ixus40 but finding alot of purple fringing on my outdoor photos, would this be a big improvement in picture quality, you help appreciated
deanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 4:30 PM   #68

deanos wrote:
Quote:
Ive currently got an Ixus40 but finding alot of purple fringing on my outdoor photos, would this be a big improvement in picture quality, you help appreciated
Sony is very good with the purple fringing, it's almost non-existent. You can look at the review of the P150 here--there is a sample shot to show purple fringing:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscp150/page5.asp

Since the P200 is so similar to the P150, I imaging the picture quality will be equivalent, and probably a bit better. Hope that helps you!
aeplumly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 5:56 PM   #69

Thanks for that
deanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:38 AM   #70

It's here, it's charging, it's a lovely piece of design. Contrary to the specs on sony.co.uk and sonystyle.com, it has, according to the manual, the following features that the P150 doesn't:

+ "One push" white balance ( = custom/manual)
+ Centre-weighted metering (in addition to spot & multi)
+ Spot AF (in addition to centre & multi)

It also has lower power consumption than the P150, despite the bigger screen!

BTW sonystyle.ca got all these details right.

Dave
davej is offline   Reply With Quote