Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:27 AM   #1

Its not in english, but there are some nice samples here:
http://www.ecat.sony.com.tw/dis/cybershot/dsc-m1.asp

I've just bought a DSC-M1 - its yet to arrive, but i can't wait - video quality seems fantastic!

Anyone else have any samples? I'd be happy to post some of mine when the camera gets here.

Qi
qpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:51 AM   #2

mate there is a 3 page thread about the M1 and some sample videos/pics... there is another thread a couple of pages ago.. do a search
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:44 AM   #3

Yes - i know. The only reason i joined was cos i was looking for samples and found this forum. Just thought i'd help out and post a link. Also, the other threads don't have all that many samples on them.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:17 PM   #4

Just received my DSC-m1! I have to say, the video quality is absolutely fantastic. I watched the samples from the link above and when played on the computer they looked ok. But MPEG4 was designed to be played on TV's and now i know why! Quicktime's codec really does not do theses videos justice - on a tv they are very clear and have far fewer artefacts than on the PC.

I recorded a few short clips myself and played them back on TV - they are just as good as any Hi-8 camera, and in a package so small!

Indoor performance IS good on this camera, but just not in auto mode. If you let the camera choose white balance and scene, you get a horrible orange tint, but select incandescent lighting and night mode to get great indoor movies.

Picture quality is great too - but the auto mode isn't that good - you may need to adjust the white balance manually to get rid of weird tints.

Overall incredibly happy with the camera - many times better picture and video quality than my DSC-P12 (black version of P10) which is approximately the same size. Would recommend this to anyone who wants a compact camera/camcorder combo.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:20 PM   #5

Cool! qpan, I'm glad you are here and thanks for the link. You're right there are hardly any things here about the M1. Certainly very little samples.

I'd love to see some of your pics. Please, post them here!!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:40 PM   #6

Wow Wow Wow! I am in shock after seeing those samples!!!!! The M1 is definitely my next camera!

I have a Hi-8 video camera and it isn't even close to the quality, sharpness, and color of the M1! The M1 is much much much better than Hi-8 camcorders. And that is viewing the video on my computer. I can't imagine on the tv!!!

I am sold! And for people who are complaining about indoor video or low-light, you should use a video light. My video camera isn't so great in low light either and it's 1 LUX, I still need a video light in low light conditions.

kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:45 AM   #7

Yep- the quality in indeed superb. Which is so completely surprising for such a small camera!

I did not expect the quality to be anywhere near hi-8 quality, but it is!

MPEG4TV is definately more advanced than their previous codecs, as the movie mode on my dsc-p12 was very poor, even though it was 640x480, which is the same as the M1.

I'll be sure to post some samples early next week when i'm back at uni.

Qi
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:23 AM   #8

qpan wrote:
Quote:
Just received my DSC-m1! I have to say, the video quality is absolutely fantastic. I watched the samples from the link above and when played on the computer they looked ok. But MPG was designed to be played on TV's and now i know why! Quicktime's codec really does not do theses videos justice - on a tv they are very clear and have far fewer artefacts than on the PC.

I recorded a few short clips myself and played them back on TV - they are just as good as any Hi-8 camera, and in a package so small!

Indoor performance IS good on this camera, but just not in auto mode. If you let the camera choose white balance and scene, you get a horrible orange tint, but select incandescent lighting and night mode to get great indoor movies.

Picture quality is great too - but the auto mode isn't that good - you may need to adjust the white balance manually to get rid of weird tints.

Overall incredibly happy with the camera - many times better picture and video quality than my DSC-P12 (black version of P10) which is approximately the same size. Would recommend this to anyone who wants a compact camera/camcorder combo.
Quote:
I couldn't agree more about the "tints" issue. Most of my recent outdoor photos have a 'cool' tint to them. Almost every photoneeded post-correction of some type. I'm a bit disappointed with the still picture quality. Not sure if I'm going to keep this or not...
frankpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote