Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:30 PM   #1

the Sony DSC W1 has a VCL-DH2630 super telephoto conversion lens. The VCL-DH2630 features an incredible 2.6X magnification..

MY question is - does that increase the camera's 3x zoom to a total of 7.8 x zoom or what? Or is it just a 2.6x zoom without the camera's 3x one?

Does it mean that if the W1 nortmally can zoom (on a 35 mm equivalent ) from 35 to 105, so with a converter it will be 35 to 250 ?
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:19 PM   #2
blr

2.6x teleconverter means that it increases the focal length of the lens by a factor of 2.6. In the case of w1, which I believe, has an equivalent FL of 38-114 mm (not 35-105 mm) this translates to a zoom range of 99-297 mm in 35 mm equivqlent with the 2.6x converter. In practise, the teleconverter is usefull only at the telephoto end of the zoom, i.e it will give you only one more FL of around 300 mm.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:32 PM   #3

Thank you ! So you are saying that with the teleconverter I will be starting at 99mm right away.... It makes sence but it kind of defeats the purpose.... So if you need to take a picture with a 50mm FL you would need to unscrew the converter from the camera, and than put it back on..... It is kind of weird to say the least....

I guess if you need to take a picture of a far object . like a castle on top of a hill, than you may get a use out of it.... I guess one can also use a smart digital zoom to do that and forget the extra lenses, correct?
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:30 PM   #4
blr

In practise you cannot use the lens at its wide angle setting with the teleconverter, since the image will suffer from severe vignetting (dark corners). My (wild) guess is that with the converter the lens will be usable between 200 and 300 mm equiv. focal length. I wouldn't use any form of digital zoom. It's better to crop the image afterwards during post processing.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:34 AM   #5

BLR ! Thank you very much! By the way, are you using any scree nprotectors on your W1 ?
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:37 PM   #6
blr

SalBolzano wrote:
Quote:
BLR ! Thank you very much! By the way, are you using any scree nprotectors on your W1 ?

You are welcome. I don't have the W1 anymore. Frankly I was not satisfied with its image quality and sold it after a month of use. While I had it, I didn't use any screen protection, but kept it in a sof case. There have been posts around here describing screen protection based on transparent plastic films used for protecting PDA screens
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:22 PM   #7

I think the idea of Sony is you use the teleconverter depending on the general scenes you plan to photo. You wouldn't want to keep on screwing and removing the converter lens during a session.

E.g. if you are in your kid's play or graduation and photo hernear the stage, attach the VAD adapter and the desired teleconverter lens. Note that you can remove the teleconverter but keep the adapter attached (e.g. for filters.)

With the 1.7x and 2.6x lenses, when the optical zoom is at full wide angle, you end up with dark corners because of limitations in the optics, so you have to zoom midway to get a full screen LCD display.
virgil_dlv is offline   Reply With Quote