Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:31 PM   #1

I don't have a card (stick) reader and wasn't planning on getting one becausemyV1 has a USB 2.0 interface and I don't ever see the urgency to use my camera at the same time I'm transferring files to my PC.

However, the guy at the camera counter tried to convince meto buya card readeronthe basis that 'if my camera's battery goes dead while I'm tranferring files to my PC, there's a good chance of that corrupting
the files on the memory stick'

Is there any merit to his rationale? :?
35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:47 PM   #2

Since you are only reading from the memory stick, and not doing any write operations, I would say they guy is trying to sell you something you don't need.
Bob Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:59 PM   #3

Thanks Bob - that makes sense to me!
Old Jan 9, 2005, 3:51 AM   #4

Hey 35,

I've heard that sale pitch more times than I can remember along with the high pressure pitch to sell worthless extended warranties.

They are just snake-oil salesman tricks designed to empty your pockets.

Steve C
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:45 AM   #5
blr

For me there is yet another reason to avoid card readers most of the time. Looking at card slots of typical compact and prosumer cams it doesn't seem sturdy enough to take hundreds of card removals and insertions. CF slots for instance look scarry with their thin pins. Bend slightly one of these and your camera is gone. Unless I have a lot of data to transfer, say a full 1G card and I need the speed (both my cams are USB1.1.) I'd use the camera. If your camera is USB2.0 high speed you don't need to worry about this. About power cutting off during transfer, I've seen manuals that warn to insert a freshly charged battery or an AC adapter before the transfer to avoid file corruption in case of power cut-off. Don't know if this is true, but just in case don't transfer with a low battery
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 2:03 PM   #6

blr wrote:
Quote:
....About power cutting off during transfer, I've seen manuals that warn to insert a freshly charged battery or an AC adapter before the transfer to avoid file corruption in case of power cut-off. Don't know if this is true, but just in case don't transfer with a low battery
I didn't know that I could power the camera/memory with the AC adaptor during a file-transfer to PC!

I learn something every time I visit these forums!