Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 8, 2005, 7:45 PM   #1

My sony dscw1 chooses awide openaperture when in landscape mode ( 2.8 ). How can I set a small aperture in manual mode in order to capture a wide landscape andSAVE that aperture until Idesire a different setting? I realize that the camera does not have aperture priority, butit should not default to 2.8 when shooting a landscape.
sandrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:20 PM   #2
Administrator

If I had to speculate, they probably designed it to use the largest aperture deliberately, so that shutter speeds would be the fastest. Or, perhaps the light levels just aren't high enough for it to switch to a smaller aperture in the conditions you're shooting in.

It is my understanding that thismodel only has two available aperture sizes, with the values for these choices varying based on focal length.

In any event, you have tremendous depth of field with a small camera like this -- thanks to it's small sensor and lens design -- even shooting wide open.

Keep in mind that the actual focal length of the lens at it's wide angle setting is only 7.8mm (to give it a 35mm equivalent focal length of 38mm). So, even focused at infinity, everything from afrom about 12 feet to infinity would be acceptably sharp at f/2.8.

I'll move this thread down to the Sony Forum, where you may get more informed responses from users of this model, as to what the Landscape Mode actually does, and the best way to use it's Manual Exposure Mode.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:36 PM   #3
Administrator

I'd double check your findings....

From what I've been able to determine, the DSC-P100 keeps the aperture set small (higher f/stop value), until the shutter speed drops below 1/30 second, then it opens the aperture up. In addition, the Auto setting for Flash doesn't work (you must force it on or off).

In fact, I've found users complaining that the P100 tries too hard to use the smaller aperture in Landscape Mode, resulting in softer photos since it's not opening up the aperture until shutter speeds are relatively slow.

It's likely that the DSC-W1 would behave in the same manner. So, the light levels you're testing in may not be good enough for it to choose the smaller of the two available apertures (and still maintain a fast enough shutter speed to prevent motion blur from camera shake if you're not usinga tripod).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:56 PM   #4
blr

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'd double check your findings....

From what I've been able to determine, the DSC-P100 keeps the aperture set small (higher f/stop value), until the shutter speed drops below 1/30 second, then it opens the aperture up. In addition, the Auto setting for Flash doesn't work (you must force it on or off).

In fact, I've found users complaining that the P100 tries too hard to use the smaller aperture in Landscape Mode, resulting in softer photos since it's not opening up the aperture until shutter speeds are relatively slow.

It's likely that the DSC-W1 would behave in the same manner. So, the light levels you're testing in may not be good enough for it to choose the smaller of the two available apertures (and still maintain a fast enough shutter speed to prevent motion blur from camera shake if you're not usinga tripod).

I agree, the aperture is kept closed until about 1/30s at wide angle end. If you still want to shoot with aperure closed yoy should switch to manual mode and use a tripod to avoid camera shake. besides depth of field, which as Jim said should be plenty, closing the aperture particularly at the wide end of the zoom has a positive effect on image quality. That's my main reason to do it in fact. Stopping down a lens acouple of stopsfrom max. aperture improves corner sharpness and usually purple fringing too.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote