Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:22 PM   #1

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and new to photography. I recently purchased the DSC-W1 and am satisfied so far. I was weary about the blurry photos that some owners were experiencing but decided to buy the camera anyway because of its size, features, large LCD, etc. Since this is my first digital camera I have no basis for comparison to comment on the picture quality. I can say, though, that some shots are really, really nice and some shots are really, really bad. Is this normal or should I maybe return the camera and look for something different? I love to take pictures of nature, animals, and landscapes. And up to this point I am mostly satisfied. I have one questions about the settings on this camera. Last night I wentto the French Quarter inNew Orleansand took some pictures of various old buildings and landmarks. I tried using the twilight mode, P mode with +sharp and +contrast, and auto mode. None of them really came out "great". I was expecting more quality pics out of this camera, but then again I have no basis for comparison. Should I expect this with all digicams? What settings do you guys recommend for the above mentioned environments?
Chippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:54 PM   #2

There are many different settings for night photography. You will need a tripod and using "M" mode will give you the best results. The length of the shutter speed is determined by the amount of light available. Next time you take a night shot, try 5" at f2.8 and experiment with other settings. Experimentation is the only way you'll get the hang of low light photography...
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:13 PM   #3

What does 5" mean?
Chippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:53 PM   #4

5" means "five minutes"
jour W1 cam will be "collecting" light for five minutes. more minutes, more light, less darkness...
chushpajz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:47 PM   #5
blr

chushpajz wrote:
Quote:
5" means "five minutes"
jour W1 cam will be "collecting" light for five minutes. more minutes, more light, less darkness...
No, 5" means five seconds. Five minutes is a very long exposure. Usually exposures that long (in bulb or B-mode) are used in astro photography with an approprate tracking mount. W1 does not have B-mode.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:45 AM   #6

:shock: ooops ofcourse it is seconds. " stands for seconds, ยด stands for minutes. my mistake:? sorry chippa
chushpajz is offline   Reply With Quote