Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:43 AM   #1

I've recently bought a Sony DSC-M1 camera which uses MPEG4 format for recording movies (one of the chief reasons for choosing).

I'm now looking for software FOR MY MAC that can convert MPEG4 into AVI format and vice versa.

Can anyone help please?
hinxworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:54 PM   #2

quicktime pro will do it although you may get an error saying it doesn't recognize the format. it will also convert to .mov to use on your mac.
dan791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip. Since I posted the question about MPEG-4 conversion, dear old Apple have upgraded their iLife suite including functions to fully take care of my problem. However, I do have a PC as well as a MAC so your suggestion is gratefully accepted.
hinxworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 9:07 AM   #4

Hi,

I also have the same cam and have quicktime pro, does anyone know how to burn to DVD or VCD to play in a dvd player from one of the quicktime formats.

Cheers
Frankie2105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 8:37 PM   #5

Actually you don't need to use Quicktime to open/ edit the MP4 movie files. The movie file recorded is in raw MP4 (MPEG-4) format. This is the newest form of video format after MPEG-1 (VCD) and MPEG-2 (DVD), and it comes in many forms used by many developers: QuickTime (QT), Windows Media (WMV), DIVX/ XVID (AVI, MPG - actually the file extension doesn't matter as long as you have the correct codecs installed), each have their own extension/ codes embedded to make them "proprietary".

DIVX/ XVID is open source MPEG-4 format which is getting popular, because it is non-proprietary and free to use for conversion. This is an ideal "intermediate format" if you want to convert it into DVD for burning.

This freeware program "converts" MP4 formats to DIVX/XVID format:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/

(it doesn't actually "re-encode" the movie; it merely put codes into the movie file to make it readable as DIVX/ XVID, therefore no detail is lost in the "conversion")

This is the place to get DIVX codec for free (they also have a paid converter called DrDIVX):

www.divx.com

If you don't know what "DIVX/XVID" or "codec" is all about, this is an excellent place to start reading about them:

http://www.videohelp.com/

("What is" and "How to" guides on the left menu)

Once you convert the movie file into DIVX/ XVID format on a PC, you can use one of many freeware (eg. VirtualDub) or paid programs (eg. TMPGEnc Plus) to convert (re-encode) it into DVD for burning.

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote