Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 14, 2005, 6:09 AM   #1

I d like to know if I canshoot movieson fine mode (30 fps)with Compact Flash high speed ( lexar 80x / sandisk extreme III ).

It will have the same performance as memory stick pro.

Thank you
luizchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:28 AM   #2

My understanding is that the BEST movie mode is ONLY available using MS pro. It is a question of how the different cards handle the data transfer and, Sony understands how to tweak its own cards better than the scores of different 3rd party CF cards out there. Sony is probably using some special hardware tricks that the MS pro allows.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:50 PM   #3

I just picked up a MSX-512 pro stick for my V3 and the way I understand it is only the Sandisk compact flash I (type) will work in the V3. Anyway I think for movies use the pro stick and flash for pics. I called Sandisk and they told me the compact flash I was the only one compatable with the V3...Sony's site and the V3 manual says the same thing.
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 8:19 AM   #4

I would like to confirm this. A standard package of V3 comes with a 32mb Memory stick pro, right?

And how long can we record in a 32mb memory stick pro using the highest video quality (640 x 480,30 fps with sound)?
littleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 8:29 AM   #5
Administrator

littleboy wrote:
Quote:
I would like to confirm this. A standard package of V3 comes with a 32mb Memory stick pro, right?

And how long can we record in a 32mb memory stick pro using the highest video quality (640 x 480,30 fps with sound)?

You need a Memory Stick Pro card to record 640x480 at 30fps. A standard Memory Stick (as shipped with the camera) can only record 640x480 at 15fps.

You'll find a chart for recording capacities in the V3 review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/v3_pg2.html

With the included 32mb Memory Stick, you can record 640x480 at 15fps for 1 minute and 27 seconds.

Edit:

The specs in the preview here indicate that it is supplied with a 32mb Memory Stick. However, the current specs indicate thatit does not comewith one, as forum member duke points out in this thread.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:27 AM   #6

The DSC-V3 does not come with a memory stick, it states right on box "memory stick" is not bundled with this product...... in USA anyway.
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:06 PM   #7

it is really confusing for me. Some place bundled with the memory stick, and someplace not.
littleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:54 AM   #8

So let me understand. I can´t shoot movies on fine mode with compact flash? I just can do it with the memory stick pro?
It´s better buy a camcorder, as the memory stick pro 1gb is almost the same price of a mini dv camcorder.
luizchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 9:49 AM   #9

That is probably true. The ability to capture video clips is a bonus for digital still cameras...just as the ability to capture a single frame is a bonus for digital video cameras.

At the moment, you get bettervideo from a dedicated digital video camera because that is what they are designed to do...you get mediocre still pictures...comparitively low resolution.

However, you get better still images from dedicated digital still cameras because that is what they are designed to do...you get mediocre video...low resolution

Eventually, there will be a complete fusion of video and still capabilities in a single camera and THEN you will hear all the multi-format digital cameras calling the dedicateddigital cameras users 'dinosaurs' who don't want progress. :lol:
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:33 AM   #10

luiczhu,

The V3 will only shoot "fine" video with MemoryStick Pro. Even iftheoretically thetransfer rate of CompactFlash is adequate to do "fine" video, Sony has hardwired the camera not to do it, so you're stuck with buying a MemoryStick Pro. Could be a technical issue with CompactFlash, or, for those who like a good conspiracy theory, it could be a marketing thing for MS Pro.Who knows...

Meryl,

I'm still waiting for that implantable chip that will capture stills and video from my retina! Though I'm not real sure I like the idea of plugging myself into Windows, and I don't even want to think where they'll install my USB port. What happens if "I" get a Blue Screen of Death?

--Casey

septik is offline   Reply With Quote