Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:49 PM   #1
sdh

Does anyone know if there is an non-Sony battery & charger option for the V3? $60 for a 2nd battery, plus another $60 for the charger (if I want to be able to simultaneously charge 2 batteries) is pricey. (Im aware proprietary batteries are always more $$ but Im just wondering if there's another option?)

thanks!
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2005, 3:46 PM   #2

Get on eBay but be careful of fakes...like ones sold from Hong Kong etc. Make sure it is genuine Sony. I have made some good buys on eBay , just got a VF-58CPKS polarizer filter kit for $50.99...list is $99.00 also got a lens adaptor from Digital photo club for $22.45 free ship and no tax....list is $29.99 +. And I bought a Sony MSX-512N high speed memory stick on eBay for $112.50 ....list is $169.99. Sony accessories are over priced IMHO...but if you do a little homework you can save some $$$. Hope this helps. PS....I would stay away from non Sony products ....never know what you are getting like knockoffs etc. that will not perform like genuine Sony.
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:02 PM   #3

Based on my experiences with other digital cameras, I bought the second battery for the V3. The charger wasn't in stock so I didn't get that at the time. I figured I could get it later if necessary. What I have found is that I have rarely had to use the second battery at all. I have it with me and on a few occasions, I have swapped them but the battery life on the V3 was so good that it hasn't been an issue while shooting.

I still think getting a second battery is a good idea..but not having the external charger hasn't become an issue.

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:51 PM   #4

I agree Meryl... I had 3 batteries for my F828 and a dual charger... never needed them , but I think a backup battery (1) is a good idea and I would want it if I was on vacation and taking lots of pics...but for everyday shots... the original battery will be just fine.
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:25 PM   #5
sdh

duke & Meryl, Thanks for the replies. You make good points in questioning the need for extra battery(s). Ive yet to have a fullday of intense shooting so I dont yet know what my needs are - I guess it's just fun to accessorize:G

And duke, you're soooo right about ebay. Sellers are selling the actual Sony items for almost 1/3 the price as Sony's webstore. What a ripoff!

As an aside, seems Sony's dropped the official price of the V3 to $600 now...:shock:
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:26 PM   #6

I've never had to switch batteries while shooting in the 3 months I've had the V3. I too recommend having a backup battery....you can never be too careful. I also recommend the charger. The $60 is worth not having to charge the battery in camera. If you don't have a 2nd battery then the external charger isn't necessary. I haven't noticed a difference in charge times between in camera and by using the charger. I just wish Sony batteries were a little cheaper. I've used 3rd party batteries in other cameras (namely the Canon s230 and s110) with good success. The price on the generic sony's just seems to good to be true, so I'm sticking with the Sony's.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote