Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 25, 2005, 10:16 AM   #1

Well I have had my camera for about 5 days now and it just sucks. Almost half if not more of my pictures come out blury. I have read through some of the post about bluring pics with the P100 and shutter speed and all that. My old DSC-75 was a great camera and it was hard to take a bad picture. I had to give it up over a divorce and now I'm thinking of taking this POS P100 back to Worst Buy and gettinganother DSC-75again on ebay. I didn't have any of the issues I'm having now. Rarely with the old camera did I have a blured pic and I always used it in auto mode.

I do love the very quick power up and bought it for it lithium recharge battery. I'm mostly taking picks of my 2 year old.

Did I mention how pissed I'am. There a 15% restocking fee for taking the camera back. I was in it for well over 400 with the camera bag and memory stick.
rohrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2005, 3:27 PM   #2

rohrt wrote:
Quote:
Almost half if not more of my pictures come out blury.
Can you tell whether the blur is related to focus, subject movement or camera movement? Judging from the posts I've read on this issue, the most common causes of blurry P100 pics seem to be...

1) P100 lets you take a pic before autofocus has locked, if you press the shutter release all the way down without pausing halfway for AF confirmation. If the blur is definitely due to focus rather than motion, and occurs even when you half-press the shutter release & wait for focus confirmation, then I'd suspect a camera fault.

2) P100 selects relatively slow shutter speeds in some circumstances, e.g. indoors using flash, which gives a better balance between flash & ambient light but increases motion blur & camera shake. This should be avoidable by selecting sports/action/fast shutter mode.

3) If it's just particular types of surface that come out blurry, e.g. smoothed-out detail in skin, hair or grass when adjoininging parts of the image are relatively sharp, then the P100's noise-reduction processing may be to blame. This effect can be reduced by setting Sharpness to - and doing any desired sharpening on a computer instead.

Hope you find a satisfactory solution, one way or another!

Cheers,

Dave
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:28 PM   #3

I have read through about 7 pages of posts copying and pasting info on P100 and playing with the settings. I will see if there is any improvment. I'm still pissed that in the three years of that I had my old 3.2Mp cam all Sony has done is giving me the ablility to take a crapy picture faster. I don't know enough about Fstops and ISO settings or do I want to just to take some quick pictures of the kids. I would rather leave it set on Auto 98% of the time. Like I said with my old Sony it was hard to take a bad picture. Its biggest drawback was it took 7 to 9 sec to startup and took a little extra time between pictures wich isn't good when taking pics of a 2 year old. The only thing worse is having 1/3 to 1/2 my pics come out blurry.

I seem to be getting blure from both the autofucs and movement

I see that my old camera had a 1280x960 format with average size of320K and the P100 with the same 1280x960 formate has a average size of 550K. Why is that.

Should I go with a Canno if I end up taking it back or just find my old one on Ebay?

The sports/action mode in the menue option is almost completly dark. Don't know why? Both on the viewer and when the picture is taken.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:35 PM   #4

I have taken some excellent indoor/flash shots with my P100. The S75 does have a brighter lens,(f2.0 as opposed to f2.8 )but you should still get some good pic's from your P100. Try this, set your camera to "M" mode, set the shutter speed to 1/100,(says 100) set the aperture to f2.8, manually set the focus to either 1M or 3M,(depending on distance of the subject) multi metering, auto WB, auto ISO, and high flash power. <---Try those settings and see if you get better results.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 12:11 AM   #5

Ha ha... "worst buy" that's what I feel about Best Buy too!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 1:43 PM   #6

rohrt wrote:
Quote:
I have read through about 7 pages of posts copying and pasting info on P100 and playing with the settings. I will see if there is any improvment.
Best to be systematic: first try to figure out whether the cause of the blur is incorrect focus or motion. Let us know whether you've been pre-focusing before shooting (i.e. half-press, wait for beep/green light, full press); if you haven't, try that and let us know if that helps.

Quote:
I see that my old camera had a 1280x960 format with average size of 320K and the P100 with the same 1280x960 formate has a average size of 550K. Why is that.
I presume that the P100 is saving the JPEG files with less compression. There'll be a setting somewhere: Fine/Standard or something - where you can choose higher quality/lower compression or vice-versa.

Quote:
The sports/action mode in the menue option is almost completly dark. Don't know why? Both on the viewer and when the picture is taken.
Ah, maybe that wasn't such a good tip, then! Can any P100 owners assist?

All the best,

Dave
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:50 AM   #7

Well I have messed with it for a while with very little success. I have a terrible time with motion blure AND the pictures just don't seem as sharp or colorful even in ideal conditions. I have three years of Pics to compare the new ones to and I'm convince this camera sucks. I have found several of the DSC-S75 on ebay very well priced.

So fare I have hit the reset button(It didn't seem to do anything).In P modeI have increased the flash power. Tried setting to 0EV with pictures set at IS0 200 and 400. Never could get the sports setting to work. I have messed with pushing the shutter 1/2 way down and getting the focus lock 90% of the time. I even messed with the sharpness set to - to reduce the image noise and spot focus instead of multi. Did I mention I don't want to go to this much work to take a good picture.

I read of a simal post about a guy that had his Olympus 5060 stolen. He rarly would get a bad picture until he replaceit with a P150 and was having all the same headacks as me.

I plan on taking this POS back tommorow. There was a security tape on the box that said if this is broken there will be a 15% restock fee. I don't even know if they could take back the bag and Memory stick if I looked at a Cannon instead. Any one remeber the South Park episode where Cartman is gritting his teeth saying "IM SO PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW!". Thats me. 50 bucks for a weeks rental.

I have attached Pic that shows the motion blur and the focus problem, this is with the flash and the colors don't seem very good to me either.
Attached Images

Old Jan 27, 2005, 7:33 PM   #8

You've got two moving objects (child and hand w/ brush) in a low light situation. With the low powered on camera flash, I'm not sure if the camera could set a high enough shutter speed to freeze the action. The shutter would probably have to be at least 1/125 or higher to do so. You could try adding an external flash bracket. Sony makes one, the f100 (which is pricey at $100) or one by vivitar which you could find on ebay for about $30. This would help freeze action in tougher lighting situations. You may also just have a bad cam...I have a P93 (in addition to my V3) and it takes great pics. I've had very few if any blurry pics in many different lighting conditions. That cam is a great value at under $300. The glass isn't a zeiss lens, but it still takes sharp pics. I've never used the p100, but this seems to be a common complaint....it may be worth the trouble to take the loss and try to get a differnet cam.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 8:40 AM   #9

The picture Iposted had the slow synch on and the +Flash on to. In fact it has been on for most of my pictures. I have run out of time to continue testing this out. I taking it back tonight or tommorow morning. I hope other learn from this bad experience and I hope this is just isolated to a few cameras. It still comes down to the pictures just not being as good as as my old camera.

Ok I just went around the office and took several pictures with the flash set back to auto and it working alot better. I thought the sl flash was suppose to help not hurt the blur problem. I still need to look at them on the PC but it seems to help. Maybe I will keep the camera a few more days and do some more testing.

Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:03 AM   #10

You should not use slow sync flash indoors. The classic situation for slow sync flash is photographing a subject in front of a famous landmark at night. If you used normal flash, the subject would be properly exposed but the background would just be black. This is because the flash allows a faster shutter speed, eliminating camera shake, or motion blur which would be caused by a slow shutter speed. Slow sync, "drags the shutter", meaning the camera still uses a slow shutter speed to properly expose the background. Typically you would only use slow sync on a moving object to cause creative blur. Turn off the slow sync, use your rregular flash indoors and you shluld get better results. In addition, to correct your color, try using the custom white balance setting if you have on available.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote