Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 14, 2002, 10:30 PM   #1

Default Which Camera would you buy

If you had 1500 dollars to spend on a new digital camera, which one would it be, and why? For the moment, I ask you to pretend the memory stick limitation is not an issue. I appreciate your thoughts in advance.
priapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2002, 12:39 PM   #2

Minolta Dimage 7hi. Simply the best at this time!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 7:29 AM   #3

I would go for the sony 707/717.

I have myself a 707 and very happy with it. Good colors, sharp, long accu life. Big lens that fits in your hand. Twist function is realy good for your back and snap shots.
The 717 has some more functions and works fine too.
There is also news that sony will produce 256mb -512mb 1gb memory stick.

to check some photo's see www.photosig.com and see some 707/717 -7hi-5700 results.
Good luck.
fterhaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 12:16 PM   #4

I would not even consider a SONY F717 until Sony does what is right for the consumer and recalls all the defective cameras being sold by vendors. I just received mine in the mail and on my third picture the hologram AF problem surfaced. I was stunned. I just sold a perfectly good F707, which I loved, to someone at my church and really rely on Sony's cameras in my photo business. I know I have sold at least 100 of the Sony F707's to photo club members I have talked to as well as commercial photographers. I have a couple of important photoshoots coming up including one tonight and I am not real happy with Sony's. "Its a service problem" response. It is a service problem but it is THEIR problem not the end user's. In talking to the SONY service folks they don't even know which vendors were issued which serial numbers so if you buy a camera from anybody you are taking a risk. If it doesn't bother you that a brand new camera has to be bounced around though the mails to be serviced and bounced back around in its return than go ahead and buy an F717. Sony should replace the defective cameras with new ones "IMMEDIATELY" and service the returns on their own dime.

As a 20 year user of SONY products, I am extremely disappointed with their response and intend to immediatly go look at the Minolta product. I just hope I can get up to snuff on the Minolta in one day in time for my photoshoots. My relationship with SONY is about to come to an abrupt end.

I also rely heavily on Steve's Digicams Reviews prior to purchasing equipment. The Sony F707 had a pre-production problem which Steve dutifully reported. This is a released production problem and there was nothing on the site about it in the reviews. He shoud post the problem at the very front of the review until SONY takes care of the problem by having a full recall of the defective cameras.
Joek703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 5:56 AM   #5

One should expect more from Sony indeed.
All I can say that me and a friend of mine (with a 717) are lucky ones because we have no problems what so ever and have a very fine camera.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 10:25 PM   #6

Surely you are aware of the recall? Click here
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:04 AM   #7
tm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus DK
Minolta Dimage 7hi. Simply the best at this time!
can you elaborate on why you thinnk the 7hi is best? why did you buy the 5700 instead?

thanks!
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:45 AM   #8

I looked at the Nikon 5700 and the Sony F717. I went back and forth between these cameras for a few days, they are both great.

I ended up getting the F717 and have no regrets. Mainly because:

1. F717 $1399.00** Canadian - 5700 $1699.00 Canadian.
2. F717 has a better 'feel' in my hands.
3. low light shooting is better on the F717.
4. batteries and Mem Sticks are interchangable with my Sony TRV18 MiniDV.

**The shop gave me a deal on the Sony, $100 off the reg price and a free 128MB stick (I bought 2 x 128MB sticks) on top of that I bought a HVL-F1000 Flash and leather case ...both Nikon dealers didn't budge on their prices.

Just had the F717 for about a week now and have took a few pics, only some have posted online. They are on the max rez of 2560x1920 so if you have dialup, beware All pics are on full auto settings.

www.juetts.com/f717
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 11:32 PM   #9

sony 717 by quite a bit...forget focusing the 5700 in low light

the minolta is noisy and the lens is no match for the 717....go to a store....hold it....plasticy...

read the reviews....

'course ya gotta get a 717 with the fix..or send it in for th efix...takes 4 days....but it's one XXXxof a camera
bjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 4:55 PM   #10

Have you thought of this??

If the minolta is that good, why are there several different types released in the last six months.
7-7h-7i.