Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 26, 2005, 11:42 PM   #11

Any word if these new cameras will still be made in Japan?
finalcoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 12:33 AM   #12

W5 = $350

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...DigitalCameras

Hmmmmm... They removed that device.....
But released new W8 with 33x optical zoom

And new Sony 939 with Space Hubble features

Dr Limpopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:40 AM   #13
sdh

that picture is awesome :lol:nice photoshop work!
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 1:02 PM   #14

That is pretty funny! :?
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:49 PM   #15
blr

I wonder, apart from the buld-in memory what other upgrades will Sony make with the new W-series. The body looks almost identical to the W1 and the features are the same. To me it makes little sense tointroduce a new model that is that close to its predecessor. let's hope that the new w series will not suffer from the problems with AF in low lightand too much noise reduction of W1, then again Sony could have fixed this simply by releasing a new firmware for the w1 -no need for a new model. To be honest the w1begins to look a bit outdated and the the w5 and w7 don't add much to the concept either. The camera is just too bulky for the amount of features and controls it offers. Sony could have added aperture priority mode for instance or at least a manual WB instead of changing the cosmetics of the body slightly.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:10 PM   #16

They just want to make money, I highly doubt there will be any improvements in image quality or focusing. There are so many people out there that always want the latest and Sony knows that... $$$ to be made for Sony as they see it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I had a chance to play with a T3 the other day andfrom the pictures I took, there areNO improvements in indoor flash shots at all compared to the T1. From what I see of the T33 and T7 it doesn't look like anything will change. The T7 will just give you 7 megapixels of soft, grainy photos! Why was/is the "T" series such a hot seller?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I really want to see some prosumer camera updates, new model of the F828, maybe a new line of more compact prosumer cameras too. I still want to know what the new "S" series will bring!
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 4:45 AM   #17

CybershotNut, you saidthat the T7 will be available in May - Do you have any "pre-release" pictures of the T7? I'd really like to see them. Also, do you think it'll be wise if I get a T3 now and trade it in later? Or should I just wait?
S500guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:08 AM   #18
blr

CyberShotNut wrote:
Quote:
They just want to make money, I highly doubt there will be any improvements in image quality or focusing. There are so many people out there that always want the latest and Sony knows that... $$$ to be made for Sony as they see it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I had a chance to play with a T3 the other day andfrom the pictures I took, there areNO improvements in indoor flash shots at all compared to the T1. From what I see of the T33 and T7 it doesn't look like anything will change. The T7 will just give you 7 megapixels of soft, grainy photos! Why was/is the "T" series such a hot seller?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I really want to see some prosumer camera updates, new model of the F828, maybe a new line of more compact prosumer cameras too. I still want to know what the new "S" series will bring!
Thats too bad of Sony. I don't thing there are other manufacturers that would put nearly the same camera on the market under different name claiming that it's a new model. It is insulting to customers IMO, what do they thing we are?
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:59 PM   #19

As for W5, W7...

They are not just NEW cameras, I think. It is simple continuation of W-series...... Why not?
Dr Limpopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 5:10 PM   #20

To be fair, the W7 is certainly a NEW model as it has 7Mp resolution. The W5 does seem too close to the W1 to be called a new model - its probably just packaging and would probably be made in China since it is old technology, so we can consider this a mere "revision".

Now if only Sony would release a W1 firmware update to implement some of the "improvements" they thought of for the W5 ... particularly on the green mode
virgil_dlv is offline   Reply With Quote