Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:04 PM   #1

I am considering getting a sony dsc-w1. But I am concerned about the reports of blurry pics. there is so much argument about this -- does it exist? is it camera shake? or AF problems? Is it caused by programming? Or defective cameras?

If you have problems, could you post your pics, or links to them? (Preferably with EXIF data)

The more the better!

thanks, jk
jkreines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 1:51 AM   #2

I would have to say out of 900+ pics ive only had about 10 that were blurry for no reason. The rest of the blurry ones are from me screwing around with the different settings on the wrong occassions.

I normally use P mode with a ISO of 200.

And it takes some pretty decent night shots on twilight mode.

Original image, just resized

sminker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 10:38 AM   #3

Ok, but the point is to post the BAD BLURRY pics so we can try to see what is wrong.

Here is a link to a blurry one with exif data in another thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...240119#p240119

Here the problem does seem to be exposure time = 1/10

That does seem too long, not what auto mode should choose. Do you think there is a reason the camera chose it in this case?

One thing I notice about this pic is this:

Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, red-eye reduction mode, return light detected

Could red-eye reduction mode be causing the problem? And what does "return light detected" mean?

Also, does anyone think there is an AF problem in that pic? Or is it just the expusure time / movement?

jkreines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 2:04 AM   #4

Hey Sminker that's a cool shot. Was the one you posted the twilight preset?
When you use P mode with iso 200 is that for nighttime shots too or just in general? (As you may have guessed I'm just learning)
Nocontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 2:04 AM   #5

Sorry for the repost
Nocontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
That does seem too long, not what auto mode should choose. Do you think there is a reason the camera chose it in this case?
There just isn't enough light. Program or auto generally uses the reciprocal of the 35mm equivalent shutter speed until it gets the lens all the way open. It will then try to raise the ISO. If there still isn't enough light it has no choice but to use a lower shutter speed to let enough light in to get the exposure. The camera generally assumes you have enough sense to know it has to be on a tripod or otherwise steadied at these shutter speeds and that any movement by the subject is going to cause motion blur.

It isn't a Sony or Canon or Nikon problem. Any brand of camera with the same aperture range would give the same results under the same conditions. And most cameras in the same class have about the same aperture – 2.8 at wide and 5.2 at telephoto. There isn't a magic setting that will give a good picture. Program mode is doing the best it can. Maybe you could crank up the ISO to 400, but the results won't be very pleasing and there still isn't enough light for a really sharp shot of a kid moving. If the person who took the shot had taken the camera out of the box without touching anything and snapped the picture in Auto mode it would likely have come out fine because the camera would have known there wasn't enough light and fired the flash.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:42 PM   #7

jkreines wrote:
Quote:
Here the problem does seem to be exposure time = 1/10

Later in that thread, the photographer admitted that he had been shooting most of his pictures on slow sync flash, including that one.

Quote:
Also, does anyone think there is an AF problem in that pic? Or is it just the expusure time / movement?
I don't see any reason to believe there's an AF problem, the slow shutter speed would seem to explain the blur adequately.
davej is offline   Reply With Quote