Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:23 AM   #1

Here are some examples of the blurry images problem. These people took a p73 on vacation, and whenver indoors it seems to have chosen 1/8 sec exposure time:

http://www.pbase.com/mary_mickel/our_vacation&page=all

Some of these pics also look completely unfocused.

But strangely, the same people, so presumably the same camera, at other times had no problem. Here it takes sharp pictures of their kids indoors in low light, choosing 1/40th sec and quicker:

http://www.pbase.com/mary_mickel/clowning_around

Can anyone figure out why the camera sometimes chooses wrong? Perhaps by looking at the EXIF data? Is this likely to be isolated to this camera? OR a more general problem
jkreines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:38 AM   #2

I would like to see a picture of the person WHILE they were taking the picture. Then I could see if there was a technique issue.

Notice that the closer flash shots appear to be OK but the mid distance shots of the center pieces aren't great.

What was the difference in how the camera was held for these shots? Were the shots in the bar and the shots of the children made using the optical viewfinder or the LCD?
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:51 AM   #3

They are not my shots, so I don't know how they were taken.

But, again, it seems to me that if your camera chooses 1/8 sec for shots of people indoors with flash then you are going to have trouble - no matter how you hold the camera, that is just too long to expect sharp results.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 5:19 PM   #4

when I use the night mode i get shots like this, it takes a very long time and is impossible to hold still for that long

But would you consider this a blurry shot

Vinny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 5:42 PM   #5

you took that shot on "landscape mode" which forces the camera to focus far away -- thus blurring anything closer than far away.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:15 PM   #6

Indoors with the flash (any flash it appears) my Sony V3 will choose 1/40th as the shutter speed.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:15 AM   #7

You just moved. That's all! If you move the camera while you are pressing down the shutter, then you will have blurry pics.
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:28 PM   #8

I very rarely have blurry pics with either of my cameras, a V3 and a P93. Most cameras work great in auto mode with the flash on. Always leave the flash on in indoor shots and avoid the night shot mode and you should be fine. Also, if you're still having problems with camera shake, use the viewfinder. It is not as easy as it looks to keep the camera perfectly still while using the lcd to compose your shots. Your face gives an additional steadying point when you use the viewfinder.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:26 AM   #9

The problem with the viewfinder, caused by the parralex effect (as is mentioned in the manual), is that what you see is not what you get (sorry for the pun).

I'll try to analyse what part of what the the lens sees, you see. It's definitely not the center part, more like the upper left part or something like that, and when you zoom, it changes too...
Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:01 AM   #10

If I would have been better at predicting how high an active young boy could jump, I would not have cut off his head in this shot, but you can see how the Sony V3 can catch him in mid-leap and freeze the action. In this case, the flash did all the work since the V3 synch speed is only 1/40th when the flash is used.