Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:12 AM   #1

I have a Sony DSC-P92, which is about 15 months old. Until recently it worked just fine. Now in the "Click Picture Mode", the lens does not extend out. Hence i cannot click any pictures. All other options work fine(i can view old pictures on the Stick, change settings, etc). Would anybody know what may be the problem ? The battery is fully charged. Thank you.
aptcloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:50 AM   #2

Does it tell you to turn power off then on again?Sounds like the lens is jammed or the lens gears need to be replaced.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 4:25 PM   #3

The lens cover does not open. I can hear a motor/gear running. I think it is the motor/gear that extends the lens. The LCD display does not come on.

It looks likr the lens is trying it extend but it cannot; either because it has less power or something is holding it back.
aptcloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:58 AM   #4

I have what seems like a related problem with a p92. It started off that the camera just chewed batteries like crazy. Then it got into a state where it would mostly take pictures fine, but every now and then when clicking the shutter button, the screen would just go blank and the camera power off with the lens still extended. This gradually increased in frequency. Then just yesterday, it failed almost completely. The current state is that the camera works fine in review or set-up mode, but if you try to switch it to either still or movie camera mode, or try to switch it on in either mode, the power light comes/stays on for maybe half a second, thenthere is a faint click, and the camera powers off completely. I'm guessing we have a stuck or burnt-out lens drive motor, and an overload protection relay is cutting out. Is this a reasonable explanation? Is there anything cost-effective that can be done about it?¬*¬* ¬*Thanks and Best Wishes¬*¬* ¬*Bob
urilabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:10 PM   #5

urilabob wrote:
Quote:
I have what seems like a related problem with a p92. It started off that the camera just chewed batteries like crazy. Then it got into a state where it would mostly take pictures fine, but every now and then when clicking the shutter button, the screen would just go blank and the camera power off with the lens still extended. This gradually increased in frequency. Then just yesterday, it failed almost completely. The current state is that the camera works fine in review or set-up mode, but if you try to switch it to either still or movie camera mode, or try to switch it on in either mode, the power light comes/stays on for maybe half a second, thenthere is a faint click, and the camera powers off completely. I'm guessing we have a stuck or burnt-out lens drive motor, and an overload protection relay is cutting out. Is this a reasonable explanation? Is there anything cost-effective that can be done about it? Thanks and Best Wishes Bob
To me your problem sounds like the batteries are no longer holding a good charge. Try new fully charged NiMH batteries.

aptcloe's problem sounds like stripprd or broken lens gears or a jammed lens guide pin.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:22 PM   #6

I had what sounds like a similar problem with a P10 last year. Sounded like I had a stripped gear or something. I ended up sending it in to a service center for their flat rate repair. Seems like it cost me about $100 to fix. I ended up buying a P200 while it was in for repair. Similar camera, updated.
ktnhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:56 PM   #7

if its anything to do with the lens i think it will cost you a fortune to fix. the last faulty sony lens we had done from work sony service charged the customer $400NZD. this was a dscw1 though and in nz the cam retails for $499 NZD:O

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:28 PM   #8

It is kind of hard to find this link, so...<http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do>It worked for me. Dan
ktnhog is offline   Reply With Quote