Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:19 AM   #1
blr

New Sony cams are expected in March. The W5 and W7 with 5 and 7 MP respectively.

You can see a picture of W5 at:

http://www.dcam.ru/Sony-W5.html

The site is in Russian, but it looks like the W5 is nothing more than a w1 in a slightly changed case operating on 4 AA cells (according to the site).

Wonder if Sony sorted out the problems with AF in low light and lack of resolution that bothered many W1 users.
blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:45 AM   #2
sdh

I used to own a W1. If the W5 will be smaller than the W1 then I have to wonder where 4 AA batteries will fit in the thing since 2 AA's in the W1 seemed a close fit.
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:55 AM   #3

I don't see anywhere where it says a W7 is coming. And for some reason, the W5 was on the www.sonystyle.com website as a pre-order but was quickly removed. Hmm.....
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 7:12 AM   #4

blr wrote:
Quote:
The site is in Russian, but it looks like the W5 is nothing more than a w1 in a slightly changed case operating on 4 AA cells (according to the site).
According to Sony Style Europe, where the W5 is now listed for pre-order at an exorbitant price, it uses 2 x AA batteries. Shipping end of Feb, they say.
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:53 PM   #5

The W5 is now also available for pre-order on SonyStyle.ca and it's priced at $449 CAD.

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...th=32090n32091

It also seems by the specifications that the flash will go about 1 meter further than the W1. It appears to be faster too as usual, each successive Sony camera gets faster. And it also says that it will run on 2 AA batteries not 4 like someone else posted.

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...th=32090n32091
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:48 PM   #6

I'm very curious why Sony updated the W1 so quickly. The W1 was so successful, you'd think they would want to update it with significant upgrades. I don't see anything that is really different other than the built-in memory and the very slightly extended flash range. It will be interesting to see if they made any real changes in performance. The W1 was already a world-class performer.
fakemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 1:05 AM   #7

i really like the design of the dsc-w1, but what kept me from acquring it was the perennial complains of its inability to produce sharp pictures. i really hope that the new w-5 will improve upon that flaw.
umbrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:22 AM   #8

The W5 is not on SonyStyle USA
Problem Solver is offline   Reply With Quote