Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:40 AM   #11

Hi kski,

Cheers for that link, I'll check it out now.

I would be really interested to see your shots.

I think I will just have to bite the bullet and buy the T3, I always end up spending too long researching a camera when I have really made up my mind a long time ago.
benjilloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:52 AM   #12

T3 Magnifier mode??

Can anyone tell me what the magnifier mode is on the T3? I've read the specs and it has a good macro mode quoting 8cm...but the Mag mode quotes 1cm - which is amazing - is this "cheating" and quoting digital zoom or is it (what I hope) optical 1cm?
benjilloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:35 PM   #13

Just bought a L1 for my gf last nite and since I was there @ the Sony store, played with the T33. It is definitely better than the T1 and most importantly the T3. The one thing I dislike about the T3 is the housing. Top part of the camera is slanted and I always feel that the camera is goin to slip off my hands. Maybe it will take some time to get used to that.
NerdyL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 1:24 AM   #14

I've used the T-33 for about 3 weeks now (I live in Tokyo, Japan) and so far I have mixed reviews about it. To start off, the sales person that sold me the camera (Yodobashi Camera) told me that the technical specs of the T-33 are identical to the T-3. The only difference is in the casing. The T-33 in my opinion looks classier than the T-3, even though the T-3 is slightly smaller. Overall, the T-33 looks very nice and is very easy to carry around. One thing that the T-33 needs though is a tripod mount. Other slim cameras made by other companies all seem to have a tripod mount but for some reason Sony didn't think the T series needed one. To resolve this, I bought the Sony case that includes one at the bottom (I highly recommend buying this case if you buy the T-33. It really helps when taking pictures at night).

The camera starts up quickly and it does take very good pictures in brightly lit areas (I have it set to 5M Fine). Each picture comes out to about 2MB so the 32MB memory stick duo that came with it will only hold about 15 pictures. Buy the memory stick pro duo so you can use the 640 Fine video mode.

In darker areas, this camera does perform decently. Compared to my older compact camera (Minolta Dimage Xg), the Sony T-33 does perform a lot better. But if you're going to compare it to larger cameras with a bigger flash (I also have an Olympus C-3040), then it definitely doesn't perform as well.

If you're taking a person's picture in a dimly lit room from about 5 feet away, the flash is powerful enough to illuminate the entire object. Anything beyond 5 feet though, the object will be dim and does not appear very clear. If you take a picture of a dimly lit room, the picture will come out really dark. The flash is definitely not powerful enough to illuminate a room. I read a post here that said the flash goes up to 18 feet. That's a real stretch.

One thing that has really bugged me about the T-33 is that the flash produces a lot of red-eye (about 90% of the time). The T-1 had a real problem with this so that's why I didn't buy it at that time. I had a friend that had a T-1 and almost all of the pictures she took at her brother's wedding had red-eye. You would think Sony would have fixed this problem with the T-33 (the 4th camera in this line) but they still haven't. The camera does have a red eye reduction feature but even with this feature on, red eye still appears in a lot of the pictures. Also, with the feature on, the subject has to stay still for a couple seconds. If the subject doesn't, then the picture will be blurred. So I usually take the picture with the red eye reduction feature set to OFF and then fix the red eye later. I also have an Olympus C-70 Zoom (this is the C-7000 in the US) so I usually just transfer the pictures to a xD card that I pop into the C-70. The C-70 has a feature that removes red-eye from the pictures. Yes, there are software programs that do this but I'm a little lazy.

I hope this review helps those thinking of buying a T-33. Let me know if you have any questions.
PinkPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:28 AM   #15

I must share the lament on the T-Series (I have a DSC-W1 and have handled a DSC-T1 extensively.

The compact lens design coupled with a small CCD (1/2.4") sensor results in a slow lens f3.5-4.4 that is totally unsuitable for indoor and low-light events and situations.

Which is too bad - the body is willing - a small package that is perfect for formal occasions, indoor gatheringsand the occasional sporting events -but theoptics are weak.

But this problem seems to exist for most super compact P&S cameras.
virgil_dlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:29 PM   #16

You should check out the reviews here.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml
lizzyxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:02 AM   #17

virgil_dlv wrote:
Quote:
I must share the lament on the T-Series (I have a DSC-W1 and have handled a DSC-T1 extensively.

The compact lens design coupled with a small CCD (1/2.4") sensor results in a slow lens f3.5-4.4 that is totally unsuitable for indoor and low-light events and situations.

Which is too bad - the body is willing - a small package that is perfect for formal occasions, indoor gatheringsand the occasional sporting events -but theoptics are weak.

But this problem seems to exist for most super compact P&S cameras.
Yeah, I don't really get the T series anymore. Super compacts made more sensea year or two ago- you could get a lot smaller camera for giving up some optical quality and sensor size.

But with the latest DSC-Pxxx cameras - you can get much better optics and sensor in an onlyslightly larger camera for the same money as the T series. And maybe more battery life, too.

Though I will admit the black Fuji Z1 is sexy:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05..._finepixz1.asp

buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:58 AM   #18

Well T7 is 5M pix T33 size (larger than T3) but much thinner than any Tx with T1 like lens cover. It's cute but T3 is the way to go for compact pocket size. It feels more robust. I don't thing T7 has anything new from T3/T33.

However, I don't see anybody mention the Minolta Dimage X50.
Apart from the way better video features, the Dimage seems better on the optics side. The X50 has improved lenses over previous Xt/Xg series and you can see in Steve Digicams how crisp the closer shot is compared to T3.
What it means is that you can use the Dimage X50 better than the T3 for digital photocopies of Legal/letter/A4 or even larger size documents. If not too noisy, the X50 might be better for zooming into one picture and other little things that you may not consider at the beginning.
And the X50 is cheap. The the Dimage Xg and Xt are cheaper and for picture quality not far from the T1/T3 even if only 3Mpix.
Again if Tx series are good for point and shoot without the need to correct anything later for printing, this is not so important if you do correct settings like exposure. Then, Xt have the advantage of beeing able to use regular batteries and Xt/Xg/X50 can all use optical viewer instead of enery hunger lcd especially if larger like Sony's.

So professional consideration will be on the X50 side and familly use will need the Tx series.
janlef is offline   Reply With Quote