Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 4, 2005, 9:40 AM   #1

I just bought the W1 three days ago and it takes great pictures. The problem is the lens. When I turn it on, it comes out slow sometimes, and really fast other times. It also retracts very slowly occasionally, and moves back and forth before retracting. A few times it has fully retracted, came back out, and fully retracted again when powering off. I am thinking I have a defective unit??? Has anybody else experienced this?? Should I return the unit??? Thanks!
ecugis03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 9:53 AM   #2

ecugis03 wrote:
Quote:
I just bought the W1 three days ago and it takes great pictures. The problem is the lens. When I turn it on, it comes out slow sometimes, and really fast other times. It also retracts very slowly occasionally, and moves back and forth before retracting. A few times it has fully retracted, came back out, and fully retracted again when powering off. I am thinking I have a defective unit??? Has anybody else experienced this?? Should I return the unit??? Thanks!

I experience that once in a while. I'll make sure it's not a problem before 14 days expire, otherwise, I'll exchange it. Other than that, it sure does take great pictures.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:08 AM   #3

Has your ever failed to close? It only happened once with mine, but when I powered off it seemed to be confused, went in and out a couple times, then retracted partially with the lenes cover half closed. I think my lens motor is defective or something.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:18 PM   #4
rg7

I have owned a W-1 for at least 6 months. Now, I don't want to give you the wrong information, so don't consider this information to be too reliable (you should go and ask the service people where you bought it). If you have zoomed to full telephoto before turning the power off, the lens will normally: retract slightly, go out again, then retract all the way. This is totally normal. It is the way the lens is threaded. Now I sometimes get the problem, when I am low on batteries, that the lens doesn't retract, or is confused when I power back on again. Check to make sure your batteries are fully charged. If your lens stays out, try putting in a new pair of batteries, turning it on, then off then on again. The problem should go away.

Just because I don't want to ruin your 300 dollar purchase, I suggest you go back to the store and show them the problem, check to make sure everything is OK. I wish you good luck with solving the problem!!!
rg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:24 PM   #5

Thanks! Unfortunately I bought it at BestBuy so no one there is going to know anything about it. My batteries are fully charged while this is happening. If the lens just retracted a little, then went back out and then finally retracted I wouldn't be worried, its the going all the way in and closing, then coming back out two and three times before being finished, that has me worried. I'm just hoping if I exchange it the new one doesn't do the same thing because I love the camera!! It takes awesome pictures, very sharp, not "soft" at all.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 1:57 PM   #6

That does sound like a problem with the camera, exchange it while you still can.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:16 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice, I think I will defintely exchange it for a new W1. Hopefully it will act up again at BestBuy so I won't have to fight them over the re-stocking fee!