Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:17 PM   #31

The flash works the same in "M" mode as any other mode, you can adjust the level in the menu. As for flash metering, the camera still automatically adjusts that to prevent over or under exposure.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:11 PM   #32

I posted this question in another before I saw this one...but does anyone who's compared the P150 and the P200 think that the P150's Marine Pack (the MPK-PHB) will work with the P200?

I know that Sony doesn't list it as a compatible accesory (in fact, they don't list the MPK-PHB on sonystyle at all anymore), but the two cameras appear to be so close in size and shape that I'm hoping my existing Marine Pack will work with the new camera...

The first picture on this thread was helpful (and confirmed that the cameras are very close in size), but I'd be especially interested in seeing a picture of the back of the two cameras lined up like that, if possible...

-Andrew
amcoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:54 PM   #33

It doesn't look like the marine pack from the P150 will work with the P200, in order for the 4 way toggle buttons to line up, the P200 has to be shifted to the left a little. See pic:
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:06 PM   #34

Thanks for the photo. I found out that Circuit City had the P200 in stock today, so I brought my Marine Pack with me to try the fit. Well, the answer is definitely no. The cameras are close in size, but they're not as similar as they appear in pictures.

I actually like the look of the P100/150 a little better--they're a little heavier and feel more solid, I think. However, the P200 is nice, and the screen size is an improvement.

I brought along a memory stick as well and tried a few shots. From my very brief test (with a CC employee hanging over my shoulder), I think the image quality is improved from the P100 (I've never used a P150). I did get a shot or two that was slightly out of focus and soft, reminding me of my "old" P100, but those that were in focus were much sharper and more detailed than most of what I'd get from my P100...

I'm thinking now about waiting for the W7 though, since a Marine Pack has already been annouced for that camera.

Either way, my current P100 Marine Pack will be up for sale...
amcoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:14 AM   #35

Hi,

Read many posts about blurring in P150. Is it the same for P200?

I saw P200 in person! it is a great little camera...and its blazing fast...since the place was very brightly lit, i couldnt test for any blurring.

Could the owners of p200 clarify if the blurring is a serious issue? if so , is it easy to overcome?

are the 2 aperture settings a serious limitation compared to full range of aperture settings (in both manual and auto mode)? i am guessing since there are only 2 aperture modes, the camera doesnt need aperture and shutter priority.

i want to decide soon so i can get it from dell.com as they are selling it for a modest 340$ !!

thanks a lot,
kaz.
kazaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 12:16 AM   #36

oh another question,

if a camera is rated 7MP (like p200) and the picture is taken at a lower resolution say 3MP, is the noise level higher?

does a 3MP from a 3MP camera and 3MP from a 7Mp camera have the same quality?

thanks,
kaz
Old Feb 20, 2005, 1:49 AM   #37

kazaan wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I saw P200 in person! it is a great little camera...and its blazing fast...since the place was very brightly lit, i couldnt test for any blurring.

Could the owners of p200 clarify if the blurring is a serious issue? if so , is it easy to overcome?

are the 2 aperture settings a serious limitation compared to full range of aperture settings (in both manual and auto mode)? i am guessing since there are only 2 aperture modes, the camera doesnt need aperture and shutter priority.

i want to decide soon so i can get it from dell.com as they are selling it for a modest 340$ !!

thanks a lot,
kaz.
I've taken many a photo with my p200 and blurring is not a serious issue in good lighting at all. In low light I found that I had to increase the shutter speed a little to compensate, but after that I've had virtually no problems. And on another note, I absolutely love having a digital camcorder that I can carry in my pocket.
saintalfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:08 AM   #38

kazaan wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

We've had no major blur issues with our P200 so far. To begin with we did but soon discovered it was down to two problems - user error (operator not allowing the camera to focus properly on the subject) and subject error (uncontrollable 14 month old!).

We have now fixed one of the above problems, but as you can see from the example below the other problem isn't going to get fixed any time soon (nor would we want it to!). :lol:

All our photos thus far have been taken in full Auto mode, mostly indoors under normal indoor lighting conditions (or outside light from windows as in the example below) and we are completely happy with it.
Attached Images

Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:56 AM   #39

Gabby wrote:

All our photos thus far have been taken in full Auto mode, mostly indoors under normal indoor lighting conditions (or outside light from windows as in the example below) and we are completely happy with it.
[/quote]

Thanks a lot for your response gabby !!
the pic is great..great little kid you got there :-):-)

have a great time !
kaz.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:28 AM   #40

I don't claim to know a lot about this - only the expereience I have had with this camera so far and my extremely limited knowledge.

Ihave no experience of the P150 but heard a lot about blur on it and it was a big issue for me too - as soon as I heard about the P200 I just ordered it - leap of faith maybe (I'd pretty much decided on a P150 at that time anyway) but because the blur issue seemed very erratic between peoples reviews I started to wonder if it was user error on the P150 rather than an actual issue with the camera.

From using the P200 I can see how easy it can be to get blurry shots if you don't do what the manual says regarding setting up your shot to focus on your subject (particularly with say 2 subjects and a gap in between - you end up focussing on the gap otherwise so of course the subjects become blurred!). However, do it right and both subjects are in focus no problem. I actually think it's kinda neat the way it works but like I said I am a complete amateur and easily impressed!

Anyway as a result, the P150 reviews that say they had blurry photos got me thinking that maybe these folks hadn't read the manual! But lets give them the benefit of the doubt eh?! :G

Thanks for the nice comments - I thought you'd like to see a result from the camera. As far as my daughter's concerned butter wouldn't melt...! :G

[/quote]
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote