Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 16, 2005, 2:47 PM   #81

Hey folks, forget the Sony P200 and the P150....the prices on the P100 are so low that it is without question the best digicam value on the market at the moment.

Steve, Strazeele, France
SteveCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:34 PM   #82

Hi,I am curious. I have the p200 and was hoping to use it diving. Did the chassis fit in your Marine Pack and you were not able to operate the toggels or did it not fit at all. In auto mode I could forego the use of the toggels for the hour length of a dive and jjust rely on the camera's auto features. Or was it that the marine pack would not work at all. Thanks for your time
Patrick
phfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 4:48 PM   #83

Unfortunately it won't work at all, the marine pack won't close properly and the power and shutter button are a little further to the right on the P200 and won't line up woth the buttons on the marine pack.

I am wondering why Sony has not made a marine pack for the P200, I would think that out of any "P" "T" or "W" series camera the P200 would give the best results under water as you can set the white balance manually.
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 2:11 AM   #84

I returned my P200 after having blurry photos. No matter what I did, it still blurred indoors. Took it to work and my coworkers had the same problem.
bcfmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 8:00 PM   #85

I recently purchased a DSC-P200 as an upgrade to a Kodak DX6340. I wanted more megapixals so I could crop more without pixalation and I wanted the 640x480 movie mode. I am not happy with image quality and am seeing the "blur" issue. Under easy conditions I am getting 50% or less of my picstotally infocus. By "easy" I mean, outdoors, bright light behind me, full auto, zoomed out and holding steady (free hand) taking pics of stationary objects. My $300 3.1 Mp kodak was ~100% in focus under those conditions where my new P200 is only in focus 50% of the time at best. It's not totally out of focus, just not sharp at all. When uploaded to my PC where I can actually see the detail, they look blurry even zoomed out to 33%. I've attached a sample "blurry" pic. It was taken on a bright but overcast day, from about 15 feet away. Full auto and 7.2 Mp res, no flash (auto flash). It was hand held butpaying attention to holding steady.

Settings (selectable even in full auto mode):

AF mode: single (multi is continually trying to pre-focus)

AF Illuminator: Auto

I did try some test pics and got good results when mounted on a tripod. That makes me think Auto is using to slow a shutter speed by default. This picture would have been no problem with my cheap Kodak in full auto. If I can't put it in full auto under "easy" conditions, then it seems like aworthless piece of junk to me. I called Sony support and they said there was no known problem. I bought online so I can't return easily. Anyone have suggestions for getting sharper pics from typical hand held use or should I ebay it and keep my cheap Kodak?
Attached Images

batkinson1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 8:57 PM   #86

I haven't had that problem with my P200....only shot about 12 pics so far but they are sharp and look great.
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:43 AM   #87

batkinson1969 - we have not experienced blur as bad as this with our P200 on so called "easy shots".

Most blur we get can be attributed to something - shake, movement of subject, user error of some kind.

Most results we get are completely fine. Sounds like a dud to me. :sad:
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 2:20 AM   #88

I've taken well over 10,000 shots with my P200 and movies. I have to try hard to get a shot that blurry, like someone bumping into me just as I hit the shutter button. I have to say, if your hand shakes that much when you take a picture, try getting yourself something with image stabilization. If you have the camera on a tripod and it comes out that bad, then you have a defective camera and you should take it back to the store quick.

It might be that you have a problem pressing the shutter button or holding the camera correctly. You might be better off with a slightly larger "compact" camera like the W7.
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:55 AM   #89

Maybe there is a problem with that particular camera?
It doesen't look like a "shaking hand" problem to mee, that is other kind of blur. Have you tried other modes beside Auto, like SCN or M mode? Look at this topic with few examples of mine http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=28&page=1
a3des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:01 AM   #90

I've had my P200 for a few weeks now and seem to get the blurring problem. Think I'm kind of in the middle though as it seems to be fairly random when it happens except for when it happensit's always indoors with no flash.

I haven't had a chance to play about with it to try different shutter speeds etcbut I agree with one of the previous posters that the shutter speed may need tweaking. To be honest the camera is supposed to be a 'point and shooter' thoughso having to use it on manual all the time is not ideal - particularly for my wife!!!

I'm on the border as to whether or not to return the camera as 80% of the time the shots are fine.

What to do, What to do...
ianmstewart is offline   Reply With Quote