Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:33 PM   #1

I'm not too sure why Sony came out with a new version of the P150 considering not much is changed. The LCD is slightly larger on the P200 and the plastic cover over it is good to have, but has slightly less resolution and the difference is noticable when the two are side by side. As for speed and photo quality, so far they both seem to be 100% identical.

I was thinking the P200 was going to be slimmer for some reason. It's not. It actually seems to be slightly bigger.

I will post more as I continue to test the two out side by side...
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:37 AM   #2

After playing with the two cameras some more I see that Sony added center weighted average metering like they used to have in their older cameras and also added manual white balance. (provided there is enough light to set it)

I'm liking it so far. I think it'll be my new carry everywhere camera for a while.:-)
Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:56 AM   #3

The one thing I'm not too happy about is that the P200 doesn't work with my P150 CSS-PHA docking station!
Old Feb 12, 2005, 7:35 AM   #4

hi,
congratulations to your new p200!

here in germany they (a foto-journal, http://www.chip.de/artikel/c_artikel...1=22985&tid2=0) made a test of the p200 and mentioned problems with the autofocus with objects in range of 0,5m - 2m.
maybe you can confirm that - or hopefully not ;-)

bernd
bgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:11 AM   #5

CyberShotNut--I have a question for you! I just got my P200 as well, and I really like it. I had the P150 and returned it to wait for this camera. Since I didn't live with the P150 for long, I think the P200 offers some nice improvements!

Anyway, I have a small cosmetic problem with mine and was wondering if you're was the same. The battery door cover doesn't seem to close flush with the body. It's popping up ever so slightly. (I mean, it's miniscule, but kind of bothers me!) From your pics, it looks the same for you. Do you find this to be true? I did not have that problem with the P150.

I also had the docking station for the P150 to come to find out that they are not compatible and now I have to get the new one! That's pretty annoying!
aeplumly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:21 PM   #6

bgrimmI haven't had any focus troubles yet with the camera, but I have mostly taken photos of objects further than .5 - 2m.

aeplumlyThe only part of the battery door that isn't totally flush with the case is the little cover for the DC in which I don't really like anyway, I just open the battery door when I charge the camera. Other than that, the camera looks to be pretty well made.

Did I mention I really like the manual white balance?I think this is the best improvement made over the P150. I'm really surprised they didn't add this feature to the W5 or the T33!
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:35 PM   #7

I just saw the P200 offered for $309 on line no tax, but it's out of NY..... I would be a little concered that they would not sell it unless they could sell you a bunch of extras... you know how that works if you don't buy the extras.....it's out of stock. LOL
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 9:13 PM   #8

duke wrote:
Quote:
I just saw the P200 offered for $309 on line no tax, but it's out of NY..... I would be a little concered that they would not sell it unless they could sell you a bunch of extras... you know how that works if you don't buy the extras.....it's out of stock. LOL
If they are closed on Saturday and they are in Brooklyn....BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!

I'd stick with J&R or B&H. Customer service is top notch and worth the few extra bucks.

Anyway I'm about to drop the dough on the P200 too. Has anyone ever used the optional attacheable telefoto lenses?

opusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 4:09 AM   #9

Careful of the gray-market dealers/photo shops. You might not have a warranty with Sony.

If you have the P200, why are you not posting any pictures cybershotnut?
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:51 AM   #10

Just got the P200 yesterday for my wife as a birthday present.

I have no experience of the P150 but so far we are very impressed. My wife is a Mac retouch artist dealing in high quality images in her job most of the time, and she thinks the resolution of the 7mp images is fantastic.

She thinks the noise in the images is at a good level too, but like I said I have no comparison to P150.

We took some short video clips and it seems to struggle with focussing on movement, but I wasn't really expecting much from the video aspect of it anyway. However I thought the quality of the video image was pretty good.

So far no complaints, but we've a LOT to learn as we are kind of new to digicams.
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote