Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:33 AM   #1

I made a quick impulse buy about 2months ago. I decided one day that our old mini Sony 1.3mp was not cutting it. Wanted to capture memories in clarity. So I went down to BestBuy and a trusted source that worked their recommended the SonyW1, I was going to buy it but noticed there wasn't a waterproof kit for it, so I opted for the DSC-P93.

So far I really dislike this camera. Auto mode always comes out blurred. P mode is no better and M mode, usually locks up the camera to where I need to reset it to make it work correctly. I read through the manual and tried various focus settings but I can't seem to take a good picture. It really sucks to have to take 15pictures of 1 thing just to hope to have a good one in the bunch. I bought the Sandisk 1gb stick for it and dont think its the problem, I really am hoping I am just a idiot and don't know how to use a consumer camera. ANy ideas?
eno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2005, 2:05 AM   #2

Hmmmmm, I have always had excellent results with the P93. Are you sure you are half-pressing the shutter button until the green focus light locks before you press it all the way down? Alot of people not familiar to this camera make that mistake.

In the setup mode, try changing the AF mode to monitor.

When the "M" mode locks up the camera, does it say "capturing" or "processing"?
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 2:30 AM   #3

M mode states "Capturing", wait now processing. Then 45secs later the pic is completed.

I have been letting it focus, before it takes a picture. Maybe not, the pictures sure don't seem focused. :?
Old Feb 15, 2005, 2:36 AM   #4

The reason "M" mode seems to lock up the camera is because you have the shutter spees set way too slow. Set the shutter speed so the display reads 100 and f2.8, that way your aperture will be at its widest and your shutter speed will be 1/100th of a second... Try taking a few flash photos with that setting.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 2:51 AM   #5

I can't seem to find the shutter speed setting. Is it the 400,200,100iso? I can't find my manual as of right now so I will look for it tomarrow. Heading to bed now. Thanks for your help. Talk with you soon.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:46 PM   #6

The shutter and aperture settings are not in the menu. Go to "M" mode and press the center button, toggle up/down to change shutter speed and left/right for aperture settings.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 3:55 PM   #7

I consistently get good results from the p93 in almost all situations. The previous comment about the shutter speed sounds correct. What kind of pics are you taking??? Indoor, action, outdoor, etc. I can say this camera will struggle with indoor photos with moving subjects. Also make sure you have the flash set to fire ..this will help freeze any moving subjects.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote