Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:29 AM   #1

Looks pretty cool, but being that it's just another Sony camera with an aperture starting at f2.8, it doesn't really fit what I've been hoping for. Very nice for those that want alot of zoom though!

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:56 AM   #2

Strange camera. For young beginners from babies? Is it with optical stabilizer (need for12x optical zoom). I don't see hot shoe...

The next generation of lusus naturae? Amusing freak?

But it would be the finest camera... having price not higher $200...

5.1 Megapixel Effective
5.3 Megapixel 1 1/2.5 inch Super HAD CCD
12X optical zoom
Super Steady shot
F2.8 - 3.7, 36 - 432 mm (35 mm conversion)
2,5 inch (115K dots) LCD
EVF (118K dots)

Real Imaging Processor
32 MB internal Memory
MS / MSpro
Using NiMH (2100mAh) = 260 shots
Using NiMH (2500mAh) = 290 shots
High speed USB (USB 2.0)

Supplied accesoires :
NH-AA-DA 2X
BC-CS2
Shoulder strap
AV cable
USB cable
Lenshood
ImageMixer VCD2
USB driver

Dr Limpopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:47 AM   #3

I was waiting for this camera. If the specs mentioned are correct it definitely doesn't worth waiting for

I even can't beleive sony will produce this :?

Maybe they decided to start the new series with a "as cheap as possible" model. But from our side looks like it will not be a good start.
tanaltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:49 AM   #4

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've heard that although the LCD has got less pixels, it is anti-reflective or at least there was something done with it which would give it another benefit.

And what's so bad about the specs?
Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:01 PM   #5

Wow! It looks so much like my old Sony D700!! Which was a great camera. It used Full size PC Cards and so it took EVERY kind of memory card that had a PC Card adapter. It predated microdrives though and didn't support them.

Look at Steves pictures of it in his review!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/d700.html

It was amazing in that you could use either viewfinder (optical or LCD and both were TTL).

Oh yes, the D700 had an f2.0 lens and went to 28mm wide angle.

Now, if they only put a Zeiss lens on it....

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:07 PM   #6

All the same, nevertheless, this device ( DSC-H1)has got poor and weak optics for a suchhuge OPTICAL zoom declared... A megapixels war is over, war of zooms is starting.... ?:??

I cannot imagine who could hanker after that new Sony's throw into future... :OMy mind is slightly confused. Any ideas?

Now, I think new coming W7 is more interesting for learning:idea:Probably. If it won't be another surprise from Sony — an expensive toy for adults.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:50 PM   #7

The zoom was over long ago. Sony left the field. They had the image stabilized 14x (514mm) FD-91 years ago. They stayed in long zooms forwith a couple more camerasbut eventually decided that the market was moving towards pocketability. Now, other people are bringing out long stabilized zooms and Sony might reintroduce some of their 'on the shelf' technology. It shouldn't take them long to ramp up BUT..the real wars are going to be the 'Performance' wars here every new camera will aim to have the shortest shutter lag and the fastest focus.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:47 PM   #8

...and Bluetooth would be pretty inDSCfor wireless connections... ...and better focus adjustment in movie mode... ...and manual WB.... ...and so on....

Sony, give us Bluetooth!
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:52 AM   #9

Yah, Sony has won the war in most areas already of digital cameras. Absolutely! This one I believe is one for the beginner/novice camera person, and it packs a wallop for such a camera! Imagine 12X Optical and it DOES have Image Stabilizer. I'm not buying it because I'm waiting for my F828 replacement which will blow me away I'm sure. Sony has a nack for blowing us away with their cameras! And as for Mega Pixels....my 8MP F828 is enough, if the replacement will have more MP then great but I'd also like to see a large zoom and image stablizer in that one.

This H1 is going to fly off Sony's shelves I'm sure! But it won't be coming home to my house..... I'm going for the real meat in the Pro 828 replacement!!!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:55 AM   #10

Here's a larger photo of the Sony H1:

Attached Images

kski is offline   Reply With Quote