Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:08 PM   #11

I wouldn't go making your decision based on only two side by sides taken without a tripod. Also, he should tell us if he used auto white balance or set it on manual. He also needs to take a pictures with the focus on something besides a tree in the center of the picture to get an accurate focus lock for clarity. I know that my P200 makes whites that appear yellow in semi-lit rooms pure white if I don't set the white-balance myself. I see that as a good thing because shooting with "auto" makes everything appear in the right color regardless of light coming from a yellow bulb in a room. I'm going to go out today and take some pictures of my lake around the house with my p200. It was too over-cast to post any pictures I took yesterday.
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 8:56 PM   #12

Kona-I agree that you can't really make a decision based on a couple of pictures but I thought "Smsms" might relate to that thread. Also, DCResource has a review out of the SD500. I'm still thrilled with my decision to get the P200 esp. for $200 less than the Canon :-)
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2005, 10:38 PM   #13

I have been buying one camera after another trying to find the perfect one. Right now I have the Sony P200, Nikon 5900, and Canon SD500 side by side. My main camera is a Nikon D70, and I want just a take-around small camera. These three are all quite good, but unfortunately, they all are better at some things and worse at others. If only we could get ALL the good pieces in one! The Nikon 5900 takes good shots, but there is very little info on the playback screen--no histogram, no settings, just the date and picture number. Also, you have to go into the menu to turn the display on or off. The Sony P200 has all the features in the world (except no panorama assist), but the pictures seem to be consistently too warm and yellowish. The Canon SD500 shots look very similar to the Sony but you have a lot of latitude in changing the white balance, etc. Actually, if you use Photoshop, you can get the colors how you want. I just prefer to start out with good colors to begin with.

Now, if you are interested in the movie feature (which I am), the Sony is horrible in low light. The Nikon gives bright movies in low light, but the ISO is so high they are really awfully grainy. The Canon is in between. The movies look good, and only a little grainy. Now that's all in lower light. In bright light, they all look great. I edit movies in Adobe Premiere, so here's a problem with Canon. You cannot import the AVI files into Premiere. You have to convert them first (I use ProCoder Express byCanopus.) The Nikon and Sony both import directly to Premiere. I have only had these a couple of days, so don't have enough info yet.

Before these, I tried the Pentax S5i and S50. The S5i was feature-rich, but movie quality limited. Same with the S50, plus the S50 was SLOW. Your kids could go from first to second grade waiting for the photo to write to the SD card.

Sorry I'm not a professional camera tester...just giving my observations after spending weeks of frustration buying and trying these little devils.

Jean
jachang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:04 AM   #14

True true, the Nikon does have rough movies at night, and the canon is more visually apealing than the Nikon when it comes to movies, though please be warned that the audio on the Canon SD 500 in movie modeis pathetic... There is a whine and high pitched static sound in all movies, sound apears distorted for subjects close up and it does not pick up audio properly for subjects further out, the P200 and Nikon dont have this problem.

The SD 500 also has a "my colours" feature which is awesom, colour accent is great fun, but, at the end of the day it is not anything that can't be done in Photo Shop anyway. I much rather prefer manual control over shutter & apeture "if limited at that", also note that the macro mode is better on the Canon than that ofthe Sony. The Sony takes photos at a ratio of 3:2, unlike the Canon with 4:3 only, so when you print them at a lab they dont crop slightly (this can be anoying especially when photographing buildings & trying to squash them in the frame).

Its neck and neck, I'll go with the Sony, followed by the Canon and then Nikon
leinad11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:12 AM   #15

I was dreaming about the Sony DSC-W1, when i got it 5 months ago, i wasn't so amazed by it as much as i was imagining, it was quite moderate perfomer.... now i am so stunned by the Canon SD-500 , does anyone think that i should sell my DSC-W1 and get the SD-500 ? or is the W1 a better performer than the SD-500?
hatembitar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:12 AM   #16

I was dreaming about the Sony DSC-W1, when i got it 5 months ago, i wasn't so amazed by it as much as i was imagining, it was quite moderate perfomer.... now i am so stunned by the Canon SD-500 , does anyone think that i should sell my DSC-W1 and get the SD-500 ? or is the W1 a better performer than the SD-500?
hatembitar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 1:27 PM   #17

Well, I'm still undecided. I still have both the Sony P200 and Canon SD500 that I'm trying to decide between and I only have a couple more days.

The Canon SD500 image quality is typical of Canon-- very soft, lots of red eye, not very saturated, terrible purple fringing. But the movies are not too bad--the camera must raise up the ISO or something, because in good light they are good, in poor light, they are still relatively bright, but very grainy.

The Sony P200 takes sharper stills, more saturated. The movie mode, though, is fantastic in good light or outdoors, but in low light, they are REALLY dark. You can push the EV up even in movie mode, but it doesn't do much good in low light. In daylight, it makes a big difference when you change that setting.

If you do any video editing, the movies from Sony are MPEG, and you can import them into Adobe Premiere. The Canon makes avi files, but you cannot import them. You have to convert them first with a program like Canopus ProCoder Express, or similar.

If anyone knows of any other pocketable camera that can give good quality on both stills and movies, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jean
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:30 PM   #18

With all these things you mention about the SD500:

"The Canon SD500 image quality is typical of Canon-- very soft, lots of red eye, not very saturated, terrible purple fringing."

Why would you want to keep that camera over the P200? Also consider the P200 has a much better battery life to shot ratio than the SD500.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:16 PM   #19

Yeah, I know. I'm starting to feel crazy here. One day I decide to keep the Canon andpackage up the Sony to return, then take the Sony out of the box and try other settings. Then I think I've made up my mind and the same thing happens a couple of days later with packing up the Canon! I've finally told myself that if it's that hard to decide between the two, then there can't be enough of a difference to matter.

I took the Canon with me tonight out to a casual restaurant. I tried to take a picture of a wall hanging that was under glass. Obviously, I couldn't use a flash. So I tried to shoot without it. The camera just would not let me focus! Never got the picture. Then when I got home, I thought, "Hmmm....maybe I should have boosted up the ISO. I tried it at home and the camera brightened up. That was not true with the Sony, though. Even with higher ISO settings, the picture was pretty bad.

I guess my final conclusion is that the Sony takes better stills under good light, whereas the Canon is soft, but under less than ideal conditions, the Canon seems to be able to rise to the occasion more often than Sony.

Also, I read somewhere on here that the Sony movies are interpolated. So I took it outside this afternoon and shot some movies with both cameras. One in each hand, so that I got the EXACT same movie. The Canon was far superior. The Sony seemed pixelated somehow. If the movie is of things in the distance, it looks great. Closer up, not so hot.

So, at least for the next hour or so... I've decided to keep the Canon, and learn how to use the few different settings to try and improve upon the areas where it's lacking. Tomorrow may be a different story! lol
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:39 AM   #20

It's all up to you. Both camera's are great cameras. I haven't seen the movie mode of the Canon so I can't compare, however I am impressed by the P200's video. You have to set the video focus to spot focus for it to work best in my opinion or manually if you know relative distance to what you are shooting. In some other thread, someone compared video quality between the P200 and the SD500. He ended up liking the P200 better, so go figure, it is all up to how you perceive it and not necessarily that one is better than the other. Since you bought both and plan to return one, you will be stuck with the expensive Sony Memory Stick Pro am I correct? It only makes sense that you are using a Memory Stick Pro for the video's in order to compare them with the Canon.