Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:51 PM   #31

I also agree with everything you say. I almost kept the P200, because not only is the screen protected, but it has a great LCD image quality. The only reason I returned it in favor of the SD500 is because of the movie capability. The Sony movies during the day were fine, but go into a restaurant, or just at home with room lights, and you couldn't even see the videos. The Canon and Nikons both gain up so that the movies are bright. Granted, you sacrifice a little because they get a little grainier to compensate for the boost in light, but at least you can see them. The Canon was even better than the Nikons in this respect. Even in dim light, you get a decent video.

Gee, if only we could roll all of these features into just one nice little camera!
jachang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 4:59 PM   #32

I agree that the SD500 has better video than the P200 for exactly the reasons you stated. The downside to the Canon's video is the dreaded audio whining noise.

Now if the P200 had MPEG-4 video with optical zoom capability that would just about make it the perfect ultra compact using today's technology.
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:43 PM   #33

I'd guess (or at least hope) that within six months to a year they should have it down right. Mmmm.... is that too soon to buy another camera?
jachang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:10 PM   #34

My next purchase will be one of the newer Canon DSLR's. The P200 will have to be our point and shoot camera for at least a couple of years. Maybe by then the video capabilities of the small cameras will be much better than now.
PicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:30 PM   #35

DCRP does a red eye photo for each camera. The Sony P150 and 200 have an odd shape that lets them move the flash a little bit further from the lens. It makes a big difference. For subtle preferences in color rendition you can often get what you want with camera settings. Worse case is that you do a bulk action in the image editor to get them exactly as you like them. But red eye has to be dealt with on an individual basis. It seems to be an especially bad problem with small children.

P150: Ready for a big surprise? There was absolutely no redeye in our flash picture test! I was shocked... so shocked that I repeated the test several times, but the result was always the same. Well done, Sony!"

SD500: "If you've been visiting this site for long enough then you know that small cameras have big redeye problems. The SD500 is no exception. In general, when the lens and flash are close together, redeye will result. You can fix it up pretty well in software, thankfully. Another option is to pick up that external slave flash I mentioned earlier, though it kind of defeats the purpose of having an ultra-compact camera."

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 12:57 PM   #36

Yesterday I was about to buy the new sony's dsc-t7 digital camera.I was almost abt to buy.But again thoughtI need to do little R&D. So what do you guys suggest? Shall I go for it or any suggestions from anyone. But I really liked the size man! Too cool...

Any ideas are appreciated...

Thanks

pratibha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 7:09 PM   #37

The T7 is an attractive camera, thanks to his thinness and his 2.5" screen, but his flash is very weak, in any case too weak for me, but it has a decent video mode and give good outdoor pics
Doris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 5:09 PM   #38

I had the P200 very shortly - Returned it because the flash didn't get full power every 4th or 5th picture on the row.
Does anybody have similar experience?
Milen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:11 AM   #39

hy!! In this summer i want to buy a 7mpixel camera.I read many about p200 and i think it's very compact,performant,easy to use,excelent battery life ....but i heard the new canon ixus 700 is so excelent but expensive with 100$!!
So i want ask someone to give more 100$ for canon or the buy the 100$ cheaper p200.I prefer the sony but ..... i don't know...!!!:?:
Shaggy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:29 AM   #40

here is the canon ixus 700 shooting modes:• Auto
• Manual
• Digital Macro
• Portrait
• Foliage
• Snow
• Beach
• Fireworks
• Underwater
• Indoor
• Kids and pets
• Night snapshot
• Stitch assist
• AE compensation -2.0EV to +2.0 EV in 1/3EV steps

And the p200: Twilight, Landscape, Snow, Beach, Fireworks, Candle, High Speed Shutter, Twilight Portrait, and Soft Snap.
but the ixus 700 has underwater????
:?:?:?:?:?
THIS MASHINE IS HARDY TO WATER??????????
CAN MAKE PICTURES WHEN I AM IN THE WATER:lol::lol::lol::lo
I can't BELIVE!!!
So wat's that??
Shaggy007 is offline   Reply With Quote