Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:26 AM   #1

Just when the p200seemed the best compact camera to buy, the new canon sd500 (ixus 700) was announced. they are very similar but i think the p200 has more manual control.but on the other hand the flash on the canon has a range of 5meters.(correct me if im wrong)

which one is better?:?

thanks in reply
smsms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:51 AM   #2

Specs for the SD500 do say that the flash has a range out to 5m at Wide angle and 3m when zoomed. This is not unheard of however. I see that they do have an auxillary flash accessory for it, so Canon must see a need to provide people with a more powerful flash.

The P200 is rated at 3.5m for Wide angle and 2.5m zoomed. The Sony also has an auxillary flash

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:07 PM   #3

I just sold my sd200 and got a W1 due to poor indoor shots. I'd choose the P150/200 over the New Canons - there's a lot of mention of noise with the Sd300 - I'd imagine even more noise with S400/500. They are simply too small to take great pictures.
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:07 AM   #4

smsms wrote:
Quote:
Just when the p200 seemed the best compact camera to buy, the new canon sd500 (ixus 700) was announced. they are very similar but i think the p200 has more manual control.but on the other hand the flash on the canon has a range of 5meters.(correct me if im wrong)

which one is better?:?

thanks in reply
true.... p200 has more manual controls
p200 seems also more responsive than sd500...
and p200 is cheaper than sd500 !!
but you might want to consider the zoom on movie mode in sd500 if you want excellent movies

kaz
kazaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:40 AM   #5

All I can do is WARN YOU that the SD series from Canon produces far lower quality images than their other cameras- although they are slim and fast to startup, it's at the price of a poor focusing mechanism AND noisy images. I made the mistake of getting the SD300- a huge error except for family snapshots. I strongly advise that you avoid the SD series and instead look at Casio or Sony for small cameras. Otherwise the S series (S70 etc) though slow and a little bulkier, give much better images.
Photopain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:16 AM   #6

After testing many, Canon are really best digital cameras. Everything is better. Maybe some Nikon are on paar.
The optics and the auto-focus system are better on Canon, while I may say only optics on some Nikon.
What you must take care of when you compare is the size of the CCD pixel, but you guys must already know that.
You can't compare noise between 2/3'' 5Mpix and 1/2.5'' 5.2 Mpix. The latter is cheaper to build because smaller and has about 3 times more noise because 3 times smaller area per pixel.
Then if you push or let your camera at ASA 400 for instance instead of trying some longer exposure at 100 or 50 if possible, the camera will simply push its photon capture to unbearable noisy recordings that will dirt the dark areas of your pictures.
The noise is there because of the heat and natural ambient photon/electron release.
janlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:52 PM   #7

I agree Canons are good cameras I prefer Canons prosumer, DSLR. Compacts they a seem inferior built wise IMO. But the SD500 probally is par with the P200. I would say better but it's still @ $100 more. But if you already have sd card and no memory stick then it's a wash. If I didn't need a pocket camera right away I probally would have bought the sd500 6 mo latter. But I have a P200 and am very happy with it. My first Sony. I stayed away from Sony because of the flash cards but after alot of looking the P200 was for me
Mike iron86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:52 AM   #8

I think your decision comes down to "TIME" - How long are you willing to wait to start shooting with a great camera? If you need one NOW, I'd take the JUMP and get the P200 since the P150 has a proven record as one of, if not, the best ultracompact camera around(including Canons). If you can wait for the reviews of the Canon SD500 to come out, then by all means, sit on your hands and see what the Professional Reviews (as well as user reviews) have to say. We can't tell you which is better (objectively at least) since the SD500 isn't available yet! As for comparision, I would expect the SD500 to be closer to the SD300 in image quality, not the S70.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 12:33 PM   #9

Kimnicho hit it right on the money. We still haven't seen a full review of the P200 as of yet and clearly not as quickly as Steve and others completed their full reviews of the P150. It might be longer until they do a review of the new Canon line as well. You won't be disappointed by the P200. Just take a look at the P150 review's and just add an even quicker startup time for the P200 and manual white balance with spot focusing and you got yourself the new P200. Only you can decide about picture quality. If you keep waiting to buy "the perfect pocket camera" you'll be waiting forever since a newer more improved model is always on the horizon. In the meantime, you will be missing out on taking pictures of your family and friends. Here's a picture in a dark restaurant of a friend taken out of the blue. The camera was on automatic. I forgot to turn on red-eye reduction but it is not bad. Of course, it is resized to 640*480 and gives you an idea of what the P200 can do when you just want that quick shot. Once I get home, I'll post a picture of an outside shot in daylight.
Attached Images

kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:56 AM   #10

Check out this thread in another forum- he actually posted sample pictures !!!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12659949