Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 19, 2005, 3:44 AM   #1

Hi everybody.. I am new at this forum.. I just want to learn all of my cameras features.. I have a Sony DSC V1.. I have read its book but I have still questions.. I didnt understand wholly what the "A,M,S,P,SCN....." modes are.. and what are the differences between them..

Another problem of me is ISO at the mode A.. I think its for moving objects.. but I am not sure.. :?

As you see I am new in photography.. Because of that I need your help..If you help I would be gradeful..
okyanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:00 AM   #2

For the camera modes, I am going to separate them into two groups.

A,S and M go into one group while P and SCN go into the other.

Lets look at the second grouping first. If you want the camera to make ALL of the technical decisions about exposure so that all YIU have to do is point and shoot then you will use the 'P' or "Program"mode. This will do for the majority of the situations you find yourself in for normal, casual snapshots BUT there are some situations that are not 'normal' everyday shots and the manufacturers have pre-programmed special settings for specific 'SCeNes' (SCN mode). For example, snow requires an adjustment to the standard exposure in order to keep the snow white rather than grey..so there is a special 'Snow' scene mode. The same thing with 'Beach' scene mode which adjusts for the special conditions on the beach. So, as long as you can see what scene it is, you can have the camera make the special adjustments without even knowing what the special needs are.

Programmed modes will generally make correct, average, technical decisions about exposure but there are times when the correct technical decision is the wrong 'artistic' decision and therefore we need to have someway to override the camera and make it produce the picture that We want. For this we have the first grouping (A, S, and M)

A (also called Av'Aperture Value' with some cameras) is Aperture priority. A mode requires that the photographer decide on the fstop the camera is forced to use and the camera then picks the shutter speed to make a correct exposure. You adjust aperture (fstop) in order to control Depth of Field.

S (also called Tv'Time Value' with some cameras) is Shutter speed priority. S mode requires that the photographer decide on the shutter speed the camera is forced to use and the camera then picks the fstop (aperture) to make a correct exposure. You adjust shutter speed in order to stop action.

M (Manual) mode requires that the photographer make ALL the exposure decisions, Aperture AND Shutter speed. You can pick any values you like but they might not give you a proper exposure. The camera will sometimes warn you that you have over or under exposded the scene but, if that is what you want (for artisitic reasons) you have the power to ignore the camera's advice and have no one but yourself to take the credit (or the blame) for what comes out!
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:16 AM   #3

Thank You Meryl Arbing.. Your post is very helpful for me and I think for all new photographers..

I have asked in another topic but I want to ask in there again..

I have problems..I think it is because of shaking.. What can I do.. I am not taking photos of any objects that are moving..I am just taking some people and they do not move.. my hand shakes and that causes some blur in the photograf.. while taking some photos with hand which mode is the best in sony V1..

I do not want to use a new lens or something else because as I mentioned I am just taking photos of not moving objects.. :shock:

After I read your post, I decided to use P mode to prevent this blur.. Am I wrong ?

And what is for that green camera mode ?

Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:05 PM   #4

The green camera mode has the camera controlling not onlyAE but also AF and White Balance. It demands even less of the photographer.

If you want to minimize camera shake, S mode would allow you to control shutter speed but, if there isn't enough light, you are going to get dark picture rather than blurry ones! In P mode, the camera is going to choose a slower shutter speed if it needs to stay open longer to let in more light, so it isn't going to help.

Try turning on more lights if possible. (You'll find you will take better shots in the kitchen than the living room because it is always more brightly lit!)

Use the flash to freeze action (but because the built-in flash on point and shoot cameras is weak) always move closer to your subject. (Your pictures will always improve if you fill the viewfinder with the person you are photographing.)

If possible, find some way to brace the camera to minimize movement. Use the optical viewfinder which means the camera will be braced against your face rather than being held out in front of you loking at the LCD. You can sometimes place the camera on a table to stabilize it while looking at the LCD. Of course, the ultimate would be to use a tripod to hold the camera and use the self-timer to fire the shutter. then there will be no vibration. Then you'll on,y have to worry about movement of your subject.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 5:23 AM   #5

thank you for your help again.. the last paragraph of your post sounds good.. I will try it.. By P mode I will take such photos..Isit correct ?

And another question is.. What is this ISO mean ?

Do you use msn messenger ?
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:15 AM   #6

ISO is a number showing the relative sensitivity to light.

ISO 200 is twice as sensitive to light as ISO 100.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:16 AM   #7

I have another problem.. my questions are not finishing :-)

sorry for taking your time..

Today.. I have taken photographs in the nature.. The photograps of some of my friends.. I have taken them by the mode P.. But there is a problem in the photos that they are not clear..I think this camera can shoot photos better then these..

do youusemsn messenger ?
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:45 AM   #8

It is difficult to see whether the problems with your shots are the result of camera shake or poor focus. Could you post a sample and we will have a look.

I'm sorry, I don't have msn messenger.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 1:48 PM   #9

it seems good.. but when you zoom in it you will see..
Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:06 AM   #10

I have uploaded it..

http://www.kopyaci.com/themes/Sunset/Resim016.jpg