Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:33 PM   #1

In the past there has been a considerable amount of change in the different Sony cameras. It seems like it all ended last year when the P10 was upgraded to the P100, P72 to P73 and P92 to P93. Those were considerably different from one model to the next.

Now it's from the P100 to the P150 then P200, yeah 5 to 7 megapixels is a little bit of an upgrade but that's about the only major difference.

The W1, W5, W7? Hardly any difference there.

S60 and S90? A Cheaper 4 megapixel W5 they look like to me with 2" and 2 1/2" displays.

Where is the upgrade to the F828? It's certainly not the H1!

And how about the "T" (Terrible) series? T1 to T11 to T3 to T33? All of them are so similar that it wouldn't make sence to upgrade from one to the other. (I can't say anything about the T7 because I haven't tried one out or seen sample pictures yet)

Is digi-cam technology starting to slow down, or is it just Sony?
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:32 PM   #2

Sony is dreaming if they think the H1 without a hot shoe will sell for $500. I'd say the street price right out of the chute will be closer to $400. I wonder if it has an external sync connnecter? If not, Sony had better be working onthe H2.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 3:06 PM   #3

Are the T models so bad?

And oh CyberShotNut, you got mail.
Manolito_Mystiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 3:49 PM   #4

The "T" models are a great design, excellent LCD and very small size which is what makes them so popular. Outdoor daylight photos look great, but indoor shots are another story. The combination of the dark lens, (f3.5-f4.4) very small flash and small CCD sensor make all of the "T" series terrible performers in flash photography. Since the flash is weak and the lens is dark, the camera automatically boosts up the ISO which with a 1/2.4 " CCD, causes very soft, grainy photos. If you lock the ISO at 100, the pictures just come out way too dark unless you are a foot or two away from the subject.

If Sony can only come up with one that has a 1/1.8 " CCD, larger flash and brighter (at least f2.5) lens, that would be an awesome camera!<---- Sony, make this a T10!!!!:G
CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:47 PM   #5

Because of the lens, you may need more than a 1/1.8" CCD to bring the max aperture of the T series to decent levels for indoor shooting (like f2.0-2.5).

This relegates the T series to outdoor events - which defeats the purpose of its slim and sophisticated design (it was made compactfor portability in social events).
virgil_dlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:57 AM   #6

The T-series are great compact cameras! Better than any other manufacturer's slim digital cameras!

And 5MP to 7MP is NOT a little upgrade!! It's huge! Makes a huge difference!!!

The T7 is a lot lot lot slimmer:

Voila!.... Here's the photo of the T7:

Attached Images

kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:57 AM   #7

And here's the "Rain Case" for the T-7: Awesome camera!!!
Attached Images

Old Feb 26, 2005, 4:19 PM   #8

Is there a rain case out there made for the p200?
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:59 AM   #9

Quote:
If Sony can only come up with one that has a 1/1.8 " CCD, larger flash and brighter (at least f2.5) lens, that would be an awesome camera!<---- Sony, make this a T10!!!!:G
You more or lessjust described the need that the P200 fills.

Why are the new camerasso similar? Because finally, after 10 generations or so, digicams are reaching maturity in design. They have learned a lot, andare running into the physical limits of optics and battery life. At this point, it's refinements.

From small to large:
  • Willing to give up optics, flash, battery for something really tiny? -> T series or L1 [/*]
  • Want a compact camera with good optics and sensor?-> P series [/*]
  • Bigger LCD, conventional form? -> W5/7 [/*]
  • Better lens? -> V3 [/*]
  • H1 [/*]
  • etc ... [/*]
So now they have a camera for almostevery form factor and niche. Though personallyI think they could do better with the T and L series. And I don't know whether the manual features on the W5/7 make it a match for something like the Canon S60.

The S series seems to something of a discount line - less miniaturized, uses rechargeables and the 1/2.7 sensor.

buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 4:53 PM   #10

So far I haven't seen a rain case for the P200 but if I do see one, I'll post a link/pic here.